Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently trying to get some old data off of a macbook harddrive that I had working a few years ago. It is really imperative that I get this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Issues trying to get an Apple MacBook GPT/HFS+ drive's data

I am currently trying to get some old data off of a macbook harddrive that I had working a few years ago. It is really imperative that I get this information off as soon as possible, I need to recover a whole bunch of images for some friends & family and there is other stuff on there that I need re-archived on my working systems as well. Unfortunately I've been unable to get this drive mounted correctly on my Debian Linux system. The best I've been able to manage so far is getting to view it as a GPT formatted drive under fdisk. When mounted all that I can see is the apple recovery partition information, which consists of the file '/EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap'. I really need to recover the information from the rest of the partitions on there, but I can't even see them with fdisk and I've tried GNU Parted, too, but I don't know if I'm using the right syntax or not but I'm not able to view anything in there so far, either. I'll keep trying to learn the correct invocation, but I'm not holding my breath there.

Does anybody have any tips/advice/pointers in the right direction for resources that might help me get this done? I would appreciate anything that you might be able to offer. Thanks in advance.

-Damon Getsman

Trusted Penguin
    Have you tried SystemRescueCD yet?

SystemRescueCd

It supports the MAC/HFS filesystem, according to their wiki:

SystemRescueCD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a live distro, so you can boot your system w/it and give it a shot.