Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I got my new Asus R500V up and running with Ubuntu 12.04. After destroying all traces of Unity, everything is now working great. Except the touchpad. No right click. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Asus Touchpad works in Debian but not Ubuntu

So I got my new Asus R500V up and running with Ubuntu 12.04. After destroying all traces of Unity, everything is now working great.

Except the touchpad. No right click. No drag.

I've got work-arounds, but they are all a pain in the ass.

The good news is that it works perfectly when I boot off my Debian 6 Live Disc. All systems normal.

I prefer to keep the Ubuntu, so where do I start? Is there a different driver in Debian? Different configuration file?

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Hi!

This might sound to be a funny queation but have you tried >>System Setting >> Mouse and Touchpad ?
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    Hi!

This might sound to be a funny queation but have you tried >>System Setting >> Mouse and Touchpad ?
    Yup. The first thing I checked.

Just Joined!
    Have you had any other problems with this system? I bought the same laptop and installed Ubuntu 12.04 as well and it keeps freezing up randomly on me.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by trans View Post
    Have you had any other problems with this system? I bought the same laptop and installed Ubuntu 12.04 as well and it keeps freezing up randomly on me.
    Yes! Mine does that too! Try installing the classic Gnome desktop and run it in 2d mode without any effects. I'm not certain yet, as I just switched it two days ago, but I think it fixed the problem.

I hated the Unity interface, so that got removed before I even noticed the problem. As, far as the 3d effects in classic Gnome, I haven't even noticed a difference since they were switched off.

I'll PM you if I find that that didn't work. Let me know how it goes.

Anyway, back on topic, Are you having issues with your touchpad? Can you right click witht the proper right click botton. I can only right click with a two finger tap.

Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darfer View Post
    Yes! Mine does that too! Try installing the classic Gnome desktop and run it in 2d mode without any effects. I'm not certain yet, as I just switched it two days ago, but I think it fixed the problem.
    So you think it's an issue with 3D acceleration hardware/driver? I figured it was overheating and ran a cpuburn test. The first time I did it, cpu core #2 and #6 went to 100%, the rest remained idle. It froze up after a few minutes of that. So I was pretty sure that was it. But then today I rane another cpuburn test, this time with a temp monitor and I floored all 8 cores to 100% for nearly 5 minutes and no problem. It's been about 12 hours since then and no freeze up. So maybe all it needed was to be "warn in". I'll let you know after a few days if all is still well on this front. If mine freezes up again I am going to try to return it.

I hated the Unity interface, so that got removed before I even noticed the problem. As, far as the 3d effects in classic Gnome, I haven't even noticed a difference since they were switched off.
    Ha. I did the exact same thing. The only thing I don't have Gnome 3 style is GDM login. Eventually I want to get that switched over as well.

Anyway, back on topic, Are you having issues with your touchpad? Can you right click witht the proper right click botton. I can only right click with a two finger tap.
    I use a mouse, but yea, you are right. I just tried it and it does the exact same thing. Weird. I have no idea how to fix that.