Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to move Linux (Mandrake 10.1) over to a new hard drive? I'm gonna try to grab a new 60GB one after X-mas (cuz then I'll have money). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New Hard Drive Questions

Is it possible to move Linux (Mandrake 10.1) over to a new hard drive? I'm gonna try to grab a new 60GB one after X-mas (cuz then I'll have money). I there any way totally move everything off of my current 10 GB Linux drive to this new one? Note: I dual boot with Windows on a physically seperate hard drive.

Current config:

hda: Windows FAT32
    hdb1: ext3, mount point: / 5.4GB
    hdb5: swap 494MB
    hdb6: ext3 /home 3.3GB

Also any suggestions on what hard drive I should get would be helpful. So far looking at Westen Digital and Maxtor. If you stumble upon any great deal (60GB+; $40 - 60 range), let me know!

Also if I were to get a 60GB drive how would I need to spit it up. How big should the swap be, and how big should the root (/) be and how big should /home be?

This is only a sugestion and I have no idea if it will work!

What I'd do is plug the new hard drive into your comp, then boot into Mandrake.
    Then I would partition your new hard drive so its like this:

hdc1: ext3, whatever size
    hdc2: swap 494MB
    hdc3: ext3 whatever size

hdc being the new 60GB hard drive

I think you will need to mount all the partitions like swap and hdc3 since they have different partition names & numbers (e.g. /home is hdc3 instead of hdb6.
    Then copy / to hdc1, and /home to hdc3 they you will be fine (in theory).

Since I have no idea if this works please correct me

The thing that I'm not sure if it will work is / partition since it could get confused if different partitions start moving.
    So one thing you could try is installing Mandrake / root on the new hard drive from scratch, and then mounting your new hadr drive in the old Mandrake and Copying /home to another partition on your new drive.

I have no idea if this will work;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    As for someware to buy Hard Drives if you were in the UK I'd recommend Ebuyer.com, they've been fast, cheap, and reliable.

They do have a branch in the US who sell 60GB from $53, and 80GB from $54, but I have no idea how the service is over there in the US.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Yah is was thinking of just doing the copying thing where is have both hdb and hdc mounted and parition c and copy everything over and then remove hdb and replace it with hdc (making it hdb), but would I then have to reinstall LILO or anything. If I do, it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Since hdb is the second drive on the first IDE cable, when you replace it with hdc (60GB new), it (hdc) will revert to being hdb, and thus I don't think you will have to do anything to LILO, but since I have never used LILO I am not 100% sure of this.

But all I know for sure is once you replace hdb with hdc, hdc will become hdb since it will be the second drive on the first IDE.
    Te reason it is labeled hdc befor then is because it would be the first drive on the second IDE cable, and it would be hdd if it was the second drive on the second IDE cable.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

I do take it that LILO is installed on the MBR of the first hard drive (hda)?

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

in my post above i did mean to say "(making it hdb)" but typoed. Anyways, I was thinking the problems LILO could have are looking in the wrong sector or something for the boot files. But it sounds like that won't be a problem.

here's 3 hard drives I'm looking at. Are they good options?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...144-124&depa=1
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=115347
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=68695
    (note: the ebuyer one must be view from the US site, therefore you gotta be in the US, the product it shows is: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 80GB (EIDE,UDMA 133, 7200 RPM) for $54.82)

From the list they all look decent drives, I've personaly has a Maxor in this computer for 3 years and not had a problem, and I'm getting a 120GB Maxor for Xmas.

I'll list what I think of each:

Maxor 6Y060L0 60GB: Its $0.98 a GB, seek time of 9.3ms, and a 2MB buffer, and it goes at 7200rpm, but you can get more GB per $ with the others;

Hitachi 80GB: Its $0.75 a GB, seektime of 9.5ms, and a 2MB buffer, and it goes at 7200rpm, but you can get better GB for $, and a better seek time;

Maxor 6Y080L0 80GB: Its $0.69 a GB, seek time of 9ms, and 2MB buffer, speed of 7200rpm, this is my personnal faivourite;

This is just my 2 pence on the matter,

Edit: concerning LILO; It should be fine since LILO will be directed to hdb for the information it needs for booting, so make sure that you root partition with /boot in it is in the same partition on the new drive as it was on the old drive namely hdb1.

dylunio
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2