Find the answer to your Linux question:
After "Waiting for dev to be fully populated", I get errors like: Module unix not found in modles.dep Module unknown not found in modles.dep Module swap not found in modles.dep ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't boot from HDD, CD, or USB

After "Waiting for dev to be fully populated", I get errors like:

Module unix not found in modles.dep
    Module unknown not found in modles.dep
    Module swap not found in modles.dep

killing '/sbin/modprobe -b acpi : PNP0400
    killing '/sbin/modprobe -b : pcspkr
    killing '/sbin/modprobe -b : LNXCPU

... 7:0:0:0 [sdc] no caching mode present

Sorry if these errors are not 100% verbose or complete but I have no way of copying all of them... and they cycle on the screen indefinitely.

The other day I reset the CMOS by putting a flat head screwdriver on the tips of the 2 pins and I saw a little shock between the pins. The computer was unplugged at the time. Was this the dreaded "static shock"?

Thanks for reading.

Linux Guru
    The other day I reset the CMOS by putting a flat head screwdriver on the tips of the 2 pins and I saw a little shock between the pins. The computer was unplugged at the time. Was this the dreaded "static shock"?
    I hope you had the battery unplugged also as this sounds like a cmos reset on a eeeppc to me (if not for the cdrom not booting). If netbook battery was connected. Ouch. Not good. Sticking a screw driver on a powered ckt board will usually turn it into a door stop computer.

Give more info on gear being used (Laptop or Netbook Model and specs) plus what distro won't boot. Hopefully we can recommend another distro.
    Also. If bios is working. Maybe you did not screw the pooch after all. Just a Linux distro problem instead of cmos.

Hard to tell fro your post yet though.

Just Joined!
    hey, thanks for the reply

I took out the battery to reset the CMOS again - the first time I didn't do it right. This time, when I put the battery back in, it said POST error (of course, because I cleared the CMOS) so I chose Default settings.

The OS loads now. Everything seems OK. (crossing fingers) CDs do not mount, but I can live with that. It's probably has to do with the fact that the CD drive was $4.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Just to be sure. Make sure cdrom is seen in bios and is enabled in bios also since going with default settings. Good to hear that the pooch was not screwed.