Find the answer to your Linux question:
Basically I'm trying to mount two IBM 6605 68 pin scsi drives. They are detected and I can find them in dmesg. The problem is that I can't mount them ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with DD and mounting hard drives

Basically I'm trying to mount two IBM 6605 68 pin scsi drives. They are detected and I can find them in dmesg. The problem is that I can't mount them (funny naming scheme), and I can't run DD on them to at least get a copy of the data. Is there any way to look through to find out what is going wrong. I have looked for kern.log and that file is not present in /var/log. Is there anywhere else I should check, the dd has been stuck at 0+0 records since I started. I just checked for the first time it is 26000 seconds elapsed using the kill -SRC1 (pid) method. Any suggestions, these are from an AS400 running SSP (system support program) version 7.1, and when I try to mount them it says they are not a block drive. I've been googling to no avail, mainly because this is a very obscure problem. Any suggestions would be great. I'm not new to linux but I'm not an expert by any means.

Linux Guru
    What filesystem type is on the drives? What command do you use to try to mount the filesystem?

Just Joined!

File system and mount commands

the command I used was

mount /dev/sdg(n) /home/user/folder

The file system is either Tape file system (IBM proprietary)

Or IBM DB2 (IBM database file system). Those are pretty much the only two I could find, I have searched high and low for this, but these are the only two I can find.

Really top priority is getting DD to work, do you have any advice on that, I want a backup of these drives as soon as possible.

Linux Newbie
    aren't AS400 drives mounted as RAID ? Then you'll need a compatible RAID controller to get them running. It your data are valuable, try to make a tape dump using the original AS400, and see if you can restore that tape with your Linux box. You may also try "Client access" software, and get access to your IBM database. Then you can make a dump of it. At least you can make a dump copy of both hard drives, with something like "dd if=/dev/sg of=/home/user/copy_of_the_disk.img" but it may be useless...