Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm in the process of buying myself a new Printer, and I have my eye on a nice colour laser (Fuji-Xerox CM205B) The problem is, I've been unable to find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newer model printers, Postscript and Driver Support

I'm in the process of buying myself a new Printer, and I have my eye on a nice colour laser (Fuji-Xerox CM205B)

The problem is, I've been unable to find any specifics on whether the hardware is supported. From what I've been able to suss out, this printer should fully support PostScript (as apparently new colour laser printers always do), and therefore should work just fine with CUPS without needing any special drivers.

Of course, I've been unable to confirm this for certain, and I haven't been able to find it on LinuxPrinting.org (although it looks like the Fuji-Xerox listings haven't been updated in awhile because none of the listed printers I saw seemed particularly recent). I'm a little cautious about spending the money to buy this printer until I can confirm for sure that it will work.

Can anyone help out here?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Assuming this is a full postscript printer, then it should not be an issue. So, if you have a Linux laptop, then take it to a store that has the printer, and check it out!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie

Generic solution for postscript printers

Quote Originally Posted by Notavi View Post
    I'm in the process of buying myself a new Printer, and I have my eye on a nice colour laser (Fuji-Xerox CM205B)

The problem is, I've been unable to find any specifics on whether the hardware is supported. From what I've been able to suss out, this printer should fully support PostScript (as apparently new colour laser printers always do), and therefore should work just fine with CUPS without needing any special drivers.

Of course, I've been unable to confirm this for certain, and I haven't been able to find it on LinuxPrinting.org (although it looks like the Fuji-Xerox listings haven't been updated in awhile because none of the listed printers I saw seemed particularly recent). I'm a little cautious about spending the money to buy this printer until I can confirm for sure that it will work.

Can anyone help out here?
    I share with you the experience I had with a laser printer. I own a BW laser, it's a Dell 1700N, network and postscript. BTW, it's a rebadged Lexmark E332. None of the two is natively supported on cups / linux. I unpacked the Windows driver, and found the .PPD file : copied to a safe location. To install my printer, I enter http s column slash slash localhost column 631[ (don't forget the S) in my favorite browser ; add printer, the Dell is detected, provide PPD, select the file, next, finish, the printer is installed. Easy, isn't it ? If you have access to a windows box or a mac, you may find the PPD file in the system directory of those OS.