Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have just bought a hard drive and successfully screwed it into a hard drive enclosure. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to format it in either windows or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

formatting a hard drive/hard drive enclosure

Hello,

I have just bought a hard drive and successfully screwed it into a hard drive enclosure.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to format it in either windows or linux.

I would like to do it on my linux pc. I am running linux mint 9 (the one with fluxbox) and my hard drive enclosure is a CiC 3.5'' usb 2.0 dual sata external HDD enclosure. The model number is DB35S. The hard drive is completely blank, it's never been used before.

In summary:

How do I format a hard drive that is already in a hard drive enclosure?

Thanks in advance!

oz
    forum.guy
    I'd personally recommend using a liveCD such as the Parted Magic LiveCD to do it.

Just make sure the external drive is plugged in and turned on, and then boot your machine with the liveCD in the cd/dvd drive, and after it has fully booted, open the gparted partitioning app and format your drive however you want it.
    oz

If you want to go with live media I recommend the ultimate boot cd. It has tons of good tools on it, including GParted and should be in every geeks' toolbox.

I'm not familiar with FluBox. If it does not have it's own disk utility tool then you can install the Gnome Disk Utility (one of my favs):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-disk-ulility
    and do it from the GUI.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hello again.

I used disk utility to format both the hard drives to FAT32.

When I plug it into my computer it all pops up like an external hard drive! YAY!

Unfortunately, the two hard drives (since it is a dual bay enclosure) appear as just that; two separate hard drives. Is there any way to format them so they appear as a single 4TB drive instead of two 2TB drives?

While i'm here, is there any way to rename it too?

Thanks in advance!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Catch_22 View Post
    Unfortunately, the two hard drives (since it is a dual bay enclosure) appear as just that; two separate hard drives. Is there any way to format them so they appear as a single 4TB drive instead of two 2TB drives?

While i'm here, is there any way to rename it too?
    Check the instructions that came with your external enclosure for the option to use both drives as a single unit. The enclosures that I own have a switch for changing that option, but I'm not sure they all do. You should be able to rename your drive(s) using gparted while running the liveCD mentioned earlier.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I figured out how to rename it on gparted. It's right there in the bottom right! duh! ><

My instructions don't say anything about using both drives as a single unit. Does this mean that my enclosure does not support this option?