Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have a HP ProLiant Ultra Micro N36L. I wanted to put a USB host controller card (so I can plug other devices into the server, and see it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    alh
    Just Joined!

Recommend USB Host Controller Card for HP ProLiant Ultra Micro N36L

So I have a HP ProLiant Ultra Micro N36L. I wanted to put a USB host controller card (so I can plug other devices into the server, and see it as the slave, not the host, if I am not clear, so a DVD drive would see the internal drive of a server as its slave, as if were a flash drive plugged in) for the PCI Express slot to behave like a USB gadget as mentioned in Linux docs [0]. I have seen mention of such cards, but does anyone know of a mentionable card or brand? A lot of them are from no-name brands when I search the tubes, and I do not want a garbage card if I will need to wait for international shipping.

Any advice?

[0] kernel.org/doc/htmldocs/gadget.html
    Last edited by alh; 07-23-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Add URL to kind of explaining what I want here.

Trusted Penguin
    i looked into this for a project a little while ago. what was wanted was for a Linux server to be treated as external storage when connected via USB to an embedded PC. The product I came up with was the PLX Net2282 PCI Card. It uses the Net2282 chip, which is the successor to the Net2280 chip, mentioned in the kernel documentation regarding USB Gadgets.

PLX Technology : USB Controllers : NET 2282

I never bought one, so I can't speak from experience. I can just say that I remember this one sounding the most promising...

alh
    Just Joined!

Sounds Good, Will Check It Out

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    i looked into this for a project a little while ago. what was wanted was for a Linux server to be treated as external storage when connected via USB to an embedded PC. The product I came up with was the PLX Net2282 PCI Card. It uses the Net2282 chip, which is the successor to the Net2280 chip, mentioned in the kernel documentation regarding USB Gadgets.
    Any response is a good one, and this one is more thorough than the others. Thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by alh View Post
    Any response is a good one, and this one is more thorough than the others. Thanks.
    If you do end up getting one and using it, please consider posting back here, so that we may know if this card works as we think/hope it does!