Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Does anyone know what wifi drivers are included ini tails? Or what cipset you can use?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wifi drivers in tails

Hello. Does anyone know what wifi drivers are included ini tails? Or what cipset you can use?

Sorry, your question doesn't make sense to me.

I run T.A.I.L.S from a virtual machine. It's a lot easier than running it from live CD b/c the hardware support is not that great. But there are a couple of tricks and licks to it. 1) Use a very small fixed HD for the VM (2G). (Igonore the error mesaages). 2) Install tails to the VM. 3) Install bleachbit (as root) on both the VM and host OS. 4) Set up the VM to run bleachbit in root on exit and to scrub everything; including the free space. (Takes a little while.) (Not hard, a littlle exit script editing and check a few boxes in a few GUIs.) 5) After the VM scrubs and shuts down then manually run bleachbit in root on the host OS.

All done, easy, peasy. "They" *might* be able to recover fragmented data traces in 50-100 years. After we make *a lot* of advances in quatum computing. But, look on the bright side: You'll probaly be dead by then.

Oh, I forgot the encryption stuff. Get through the stuff above and we'll talk when you're ready to jump off that bridge.

Google is your friend, but not mine.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by alchemist1 View Post
    Hello. Does anyone know what wifi drivers are included ini tails? Or what cipset you can use?
    The latest version of TAILS (0.12.1) has kernel version 3.2.21-3, according to their news page. So whatever wireless network drivers are supported by that kernel version are supported by TAILS (probably). You can pour over the CHANGELOGS at kernel.org for that version of the kernel to see if your wireless/chipset is supported...or you can just try it. It is a Live system, so there is no harm in trying it and seeing if it works.

Don't think I want T.A.I.L.S. I tend to be a multi-GB filesucker upon occasion and the TOR network isn't suitable for that.
    Last edited by hagfish52; 07-28-2012 at 06:23 AM.

I figured out a better and eaiser way to do it.

Create a VM with no hard drive and mount the ISO to the CD player and boot from CD. It runs as live CD. With no install there are no traces. It only runs in virtualized RAM; which TAILS clears on exit.

And, if you want to get really paranoid you can always put the VM and the ISO on a truecrypt encrypted drive.