Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Now I'm not sure what I've done to it or how to fix it. Last night I got the error message from the Nvidia setting GUI telling me that I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Now I'm not sure what I've done to it or how to fix it.

Last night I got the error message from the Nvidia setting GUI telling me that I needed to run xorg -configure

So I ran:
    Code:
    sudo Xorg -configure
    Which caused my resolution to shrink to 800x600 and my aspect ration to drop to 4x9. So I lost about 1/3 of the "real estate" on my screen. And caused my built monitor to no longer be recognized by the KDE display configuration GUI. It was showing up as "Default" instead of being the built in laptop display.

After doing some research at work today I ran:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    to fix it when I got home.

And it did have *some* effect. Now the splash screen that comes up after I select this OS in GRUB looks normal and the GUI regonizes the monitor again.

But, after the post-GRUB splash screen runs the login screen is still 800x600 x 4x9 and I can't change it in the GUI b/c that's the only resolution listed.

I have no idea what I broke or how to fix it.

OK, I fixed it; mostly.

I have no idea how I fixed it.

Can somebody please explain to me how I fixed it.

I hate not understanding stuff.

I found a very indepth page where a guy had completely fouled his DE when doing a distro upgrade. He wrote a lot of code that was quite frankly over my head. But, from what I could tell, it "jibed" with other stuff I saw during my research. And it had lots of good comments on it about how to both make the code better (which the guy went back and incorporated) and about how well it worked. So I figured I didn't have much to lose since I was looking at a complete re-install from scratch if I couldn't figure it out.

Here's what I did:

Crtl+Alt+F3

Logged in as user

Then entered the following one line at a time:

Code:
    sudo rm -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo rm -f /xorg.conf*
    sudo service kdm stop
    sudo Xorg -configure
    But, I actually messed up on the last line because there was a bunch of code over my head that was supposed to be included in that line. However, the guy used weird line breaks and I didn't realize until later it was all one line.

So the configuration ran and it failed. I got an error message stating that the number of devices did not match the number of monitors. (Hybrid crap again.)

So I retried it all as one line. But then I got errors saying it did not recognize the switches that I was trying to use. This guys example was from a much ealier version of Kubuntu. So I tried changing some things to match the little bit of syntax that I've started to pick up and still got nothing but errors.

So I gave up and rebooted figuring I was probably going to get a black screen.

But, it was fixed. I am having some small, strange behaviors like the touchpad being too sensitive. But it's 99.99% fixed and "looks" right.

I can trouble shoot the small stuff, but I don't understand why this worked.

I *think* I understand the code above. I basically just removed /etc/X11//xorg.conf and it's back up file with the fix switch (I didn't know you could use those together) and then ran config from outside the GUI.

But, I did almost the exact same thing from inside the GUI using the terminal and gksudo gedit to manually move / edit / fix / earse files before I ran config from the terminal or tried the stuff above b/c I figured that was probably what needed to be done.

So why in the fraggin scraggin did it work from outside the GUI but not from inside?!

And what, if any, differences did the fix switch make?
    Last edited by Steven_G; 08-04-2012 at 02:21 AM.

Good ole NVIDIA drivers.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    OK, now this part is actually kind of funny:

I was going to put off the hardware issues until I had everything else right. But I got sucked back in to it last night trying to fix my OpenGL screen savers. But, nothing I tried was working. So I staretd messing with xorg and OpenGL through synaptic and the terminal and got sucked back in to the hardware issue.

So now that I have the i915/intel driver and xorg issuse fixed so that I can at least use the iGPU I also managed to fix the OpenGL issues as well.

I wonder if something got corrupted because I tried to activate an Nvidia *nix driver with no Optimus support and that's why I had so many issues / so much trouble getting it fixed?

Although this still doesn't solve the bigger issue. I still won't be able to push VMs off the iGPU to the dGPU.

And everything is still really small. I know how to make it bigger. But, on roky's advice from another thread I was going to wait until the video hardware was straight before I started messing with the DPI and scaling.

Just Joined!

Any advance?

Hi Steven, I'm really appreciate you to share any advance on this topic. I have exactly the same issue. My Sony Model Vpcz137gx/B. I installed Ubuntu 12.10. It works, also bumblebee from stable repo. But as you said, no virtual machine with NVidia and even wine games are always switching to Intel.

Did you found the solution?
    I tried a lot of staff and nothing. When I change the xorg.conf, it seems to switch to Nvidia, but some settings are missing, and it doesn't work.
    Thank you.
    Please, follow with your posting with any advances you have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2