Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can this be done? If possible, I want to configure settings so that pressing the scroll button down brings up the window switcher. A bonus would then being able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mapping middle mouse button to window switcher?

Can this be done? If possible, I want to configure settings so that pressing the scroll button down brings up the window switcher. A bonus would then being able to scroll up through them thereafter, but that's not so important.

I'm using SolusOS (a variant of Debian stable) and my mouse is a bog standard optical mouse with 5 mappings.

Many thanks in advance.

Just Joined!
    I assume you want this to do the same as the default Alt-Space combination does now.

Note that the current thing that the middle mouse button does is to past something that has been copied - text, image, etc. So this would supercede that.

The Keyboard Shortcuts dialog allows you to assign a key combination to this action, but doesn't seem to be set up for mapping mouse buttons. (I'm looking at Ubuntu 11.04 with Gnome 2 right now, other desktops may have a different way of changing these shortcuts).

I'm not familiar with how Linux can allow one to remap mouse actions to key actions - I used to know how to program that in MS-Windows, but don't know how to do it in Linux.

Just Joined!
    I think you need to research xmodmap and xev - here's one page to start with:

How to Use the XMODMAP Command in Linux to Swap Keyboard Keys | eHow.com

and you can search for more pages about these commands.

Just Joined!
    you will probably benefit from reading this Ubuntu 'how to'. I know you are not using Ubuntu, but as it is a variant of Debian, chances are you will find useful information on it:
    Code:
    help.ubuntu.com/community/ManyButtonsMouseHowto
    sorry about having to write the link in such a weird way. I'm not yet allowed to post URLs on this forum...

good luck!