Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm prepared to buy a 2T HD for home use. I have been running WD Caviar Black series for sometimes, having full confidence on its performance and quality. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Which HD shall I select?

Hi all,

I'm prepared to buy a 2T HD for home use. I have been running WD Caviar Black series for sometimes, having full confidence on its performance and quality. However on searching I found Seagate ST2000VX000 2TB Barracuda offering much better price, very interesting.

Seagate ST2000VX000 2TB Barracuda SV35.5 SATA3 6Gb/s /64MB HDD (7x24 Digital Video) HK$ 968

Specification
    =============
    Seagate Barracuda SV35.5 ST2000VX000 2 TB Internal Hard Drive | Overstock.com

WD Caviar Black 2002FAEX 2TB SATA3/64MB HDD HK$ 1380

WD Black
    SATA Hard Drives
    Maximum performance for power computing
    Welcome to Western Digital US Online Store

Could you please shed me some light on selecting them? Is the quality of "Seagate ST2000VX000 2TB Barracuda" reliable? What about its performance vs WD Caviar Black 2002FAEX 2TB?

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Hey buddy,
    I can't really shed light on your specific problem but I thought I might just share my .02 cents here. I think the difference in HD's these day is mostly just brand name recognition. some people swear by Seagate and detest anything else.....same thing for the Western digital camp, not everyone though. I use both, haven't had much problem with any specific brand yet. They all seem to fail about the same rate to me, at least in the way that our family uses computers. It might be a different story for you and your family though. I really think it's just personal preference vs Price & availability. Meaning you buy the best you can afford and like at the nearest location.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.