Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am about to buy a new computer and I am new to linux. I've been researching it for a while, and I think everything should work, but I'm a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Intel B75 chipset

I am about to buy a new computer and I am new to linux. I've been researching it for a while, and I think everything should work, but I'm a little uncertain about one thing. The computer has a B75 chipset which uses Panther Point architecture. I'm really not totally sure what that means. While it appears that this should work, I can't afford to make a mistake. I'll probably be running Debian if that makes a difference.

If you want to check out the machine, here it is

Acer AM3985-UR21P

but I don't expect anyone to do my research for me. (I linked to Newegg, but I guess I'm not allowed to do that yet)

Any advice is appreciated.
    thanks,
    Drew

PS I am not a gamer so please don't point out that I should get a better graphics card. I will be using this mostly for simple scientific computing and some basic music recording. Maybe someday I'll add a dedicated graphics card and upgrade the PSU, but I'm fine with the specs as long as they work!

Trusted Penguin
    Is this the newegg item?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...am3985&x=0&y=0

This google groups thread seems to indicate that you're safe.

Note: you might want to change the subject header from B76 to B75 (if you can).

Just Joined!
    Well, I don't know how to change the title, but yes, I should have actually typed the correct name. That link did seem to say that the chipset would work, and indeed it does. So B75 works fine so far with Debian Wheezy.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewD View Post
    Well, I don't know how to change the title, but yes, I should have actually typed the correct name.
    Hello and welcome aboard!

I've corrected that title for you...
    oz