Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MASONTX
I recently changed the battery in my motherboard as it was not keeping time or date properly and other more critical settings were being defaulted. I do not have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Bios battery

I recently changed the battery in my motherboard as it was not keeping time or date properly and other more critical settings were being defaulted.

I do not have a voltmeter anymore so i am going on good faith that the battery i purchased was not defective or discharged and going on that assumption what can cause your bios to start to lose settings and would the be indicative of a greater problem?

Most jewelers, and even some department stores, should have equipment to test batteries of this type. Try one of those.
    Try taking it there. If you have a known good battery, it might be a burnt connection for the CMOS battery connector.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    If it is a burnt connection or damaged capacitor is there anything i can do to fix it or could it get worse..

Also update the problem is intermittent and seems to effect the date time functions more than anything else like fan speed thresholds. Which again is odd

If it's a burnt connection or similar, fixing it would likely involve a soldering iron. And a voltmeter would be good, too.
    As far as things getting worse, I don't believe so. It will mainly affect changes to BIOS and various system settings.
    Get the battery checked first.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    If it's a burnt connection or similar, fixing it would likely involve a soldering iron. And a voltmeter would be good, too.
    As far as things getting worse, I don't believe so. It will mainly affect changes to BIOS and various system settings.
    Get the battery checked first.

Oddly my clock seems to be only 6 hours off it keeps going forward 6 hours

Sounds like it may be a time zone problem. Check and reset your timezone to the one for your area and see if the problem persists.
    jayd512 likes this.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Newbie
    Bios has a timezone? Hmm i did not know i will check.