Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I hope someone can help me. I have fedora 14 installed on a server and I need it to be able to print to a shared pc connected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Printing on a windows shared printer.

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me. I have fedora 14 installed on a server and I need it to be able to print to a shared pc connected printer (Zebra TLP 2844) I was able to add the printer via cups on to the server. It shows that it is connected and that it works, but when I send the command to print or a test page or anything It never reaches the printer. When I print from the pc (windows 7) it works fine. If anyone has any ideas or anyone had this issue before I would like some help thank you.

Trusted Penguin
    As this printer is a Windows shared resource, did you set up samba in order to access it? i.e., did you have to enter a username and password to authenticate to the Windows PC, when setting it up?

Assuming you have a username / password, try this command, from the Fedora box:

Code:
    smbclient -L <WINDOWS_IP_ADDRESS> -U <WINDOWS_USERNAME>
    When prompted, enter the password. If successful, a list of Windows shared resources should be displayed (the printer share, amongst others).

I typically use the system-config-printer graphical tool to set up printers in Fedora, it is pretty good. Is this what you used?

Just Joined!
    I used the browser interface usually localhost:630 to add my printer. The printer is listed when smbclient command is ran with username and password.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    is the cups package installed? is the cups daemon running?

Code:
    service cups status

Just Joined!
    Yes cups is installed and running.

Trusted Penguin
    have you tried restarting cups or restarting the Linux server?

is there a firewall running on either the Linux or Windows box that needs to be configured?

i would try the system-config-printer tool just to see if it works that way.

if it is not that, then maybe it is a printer driver issue...