Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking to build a linux server/multimedia center box, but would like it to be a low powered machine that I can leave on most of the time. What linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recomended, Linux Friendly, Low Power mobo

I'm looking to build a linux server/multimedia center box, but would like it to be a low powered machine that I can leave on most of the time.

What linux friendly mobos that support latest funtions like USB 3, fastest sATA drives etc but have a relatively low power requirement (obviously depending what else I attach to it)?

Just Joined!
    Could you be more specific about what this computer will do besides a server/multimedia box.
    For one, anything you add to this system will need power.
    A small server system on its own is no problem but as you have written "fastest SATA drives" this thing will not be low powered for a start.

Just Joined!
    Right, what I want to achieve:

I want to build a machine which is a file server (serving a minimum of 2TB 6Gb/s sATA drives in RAID [X???]), the actual system being on a 60GB High Speed SSD. Both the SSD and HDDs will be efficient drives, running on a minimal amount of power when the server is idle, but able to ramp up the speed when demanded.

It will also be a media streamer, so be able to handle any files that I throw at it. At the moment I use Serviio, but have seen GeeXBox which looks quite good as a Media Center OS.

It will connect to the network with twin Gigabit Ethernet Connections.

So what kind of Mobos would you advise, Intel vs AMD??? What would the min speed be and what additional GPU Card should I get.
    Last edited by aSystemOverload; 09-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Just Joined!

Multimedia server is going to be big.

You will need a server that will hold a lot of big files, if cd/dvd /music/video is going to be installed, and a/or very big hard drive(s).
    You will need to have the drives in a Raid10 format of which it is going to cost you a lot of dosh. Raid cards are not cheap, so you will have to draw up a very good plan before you go ALL out with your dosh and find out that you have forgotten one (or more) crucial component(s) i.e, what kind of power supply(s) or UPS's.
    Gnu/Linux can do what ever you need it to do so no worries there, but on the component side you will need to sit down and draw up a plan and go and look around at the components that you think you are going to need.

Just Joined!
    No, I'm not going for hardware raid. I've altered my requirements, my first step is now just the multimedia box.

My main question is which is best for a multimedia streamer box, INTEL or AMD based mobos? They will just have 2 x mirrored 2TB sATA drives.

Just Joined!
    AMD is going to be the cheapest out of the two.
    Just having 2 x 2tb mirrored drives is not much of a backup for what you will be using.
    The bigger the drive the longer the rebuild if one of the drives goes down.
    In a hardware raid set up with battery (raid10, MIN drives of 4) if one drive goes down you can still work with the others and have the rebuild going in the background.
    With your set up if one drive goes down your computer will go down unless you have the operating system on another hard drive of which the operating system will need to be on either a smaller or identical size to your big drives, so you will have three drives on your system, one for main and two in a mirror raid set up. If you can afford it go for a hardware raid set up.
    If you are just starting with (software) raid then at least you are going in the right direction, but i would have more than just two backups if i were you.

Just Joined!
    Whilst money is a consideration, I'm more concerned with Linux compatibility.

So A - Does Linux fair better with AMD or Intel currently... and B - Do Graphics Card fare better on Intel or AMD.

In regards to RAID, definately going software. I'll have a small SSD for the OS, the 2 x 2TB will be for data only.

In regards to data safety, I will be looking to build a much more powerful machine in maybe 6 months, which will be my daily machine, ie: Only turned on when in use. It will have a System SSD and 4 x 2 TB in some groovy raid array. I'll back up the media centre to the main machine on a weekly basis etc.

Just Joined!
    Linux can do what you want it to do.
    Linux can run on either Amd or Intel.
    What seems to be your point in all of this?
    You seemed to have made up your mind on what you want, so, next question.
    Last edited by Peconet009; 09-29-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Addition

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peconet009 View Post
    Linux can do what you want it to do.
    Linux can run on either Amd or Intel.
    What seems to be your point in all of this?
    You seemed to have made up your mind on what you want, so, next question.

I know what I want, just not necessarily how to achieve it. I read up on various articles to get different opinions. I have seen articles in past suggesting that some people have problems with NVIDIA or ATI, or is that no longer an issue?

Just Joined!
    All processors, motherboards, memory (sometimes), USB drives, hard drives have issues, goodness me nearly everything has issues.
    What you need to sort out is how are you going deal with this/these issue(s) when it/they come(s) up.
    This is where help forums such as this site comes in handy when you come up with such issues.
    We can help you in (nearly) anything, except knowing what the future holds.

Quote" I know what I want, just not necessarily how to achieve it". UN-Quote

So, you have already said what you want, next thing is do you have the money to back it up?
    You can always start off small to find out how and if it works then add on stuff little by little.

Example:
    You do not build a house without planning, foundations, pipes.

The similar outcome goes with computers, knowing what you want is not the same as knowing what you need to build it with.
    Last edited by Peconet009; 09-30-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Addition