Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old Shuttle with AMD 3700+ cpu that i wanted to dust off and use as a test bed for trying different distro's. I wiped the hard drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Strange heat problem

I have an old Shuttle with AMD 3700+ cpu that i wanted to dust off and use as a test bed for trying different distro's. I wiped the hard drive of the ubuntu 10.04 it had and used Gparted to set 1 primary partition and 11 extended partitions in ext4, plus 1 swap partition on the extended partition. I installed my first test distro, mageia, and tested it, then added Fedora to sda5. Fedora was giving me some minor issues, and then the computer auto shut down. Investigating, I found the cpu cooler fan had quit working, so ordered another and replaced it. I also ordered more ram, and upgraded from 512 mb to 2 Gb of ram. The fan runs fine, but after about 2 hours of operation the temperature will be running about 65 C, then will spike and the computer auto shuts down. Also all subsequent attempts to install additional operating systems (5) have failed with various errors. Is my system now toast, or when it overheated is it likely that the thermal paste was damaged and need s replacing? Thanks for any suggestions or help.

edit: I say the temperature spikes, but I haven't actually seen any temperature readings when this occurs. I am guessing it is a heat spike because if I let it cool for a time, then it starts and will run another 2 hours.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 10-01-2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Guru
    Have you installed lm-sensors in any of your distro installs. I monitor temps in conky or inxi. You need to run

Code:
    sensors-detect
    after installing lmsensors. I also use hddtemp for monitoring hard drive temp in conky also. I let hdd temp start the deamon on bootup also (it is part of hddtemp install procedure).

My inxi readout for reference after lmsensors has been set up

Code:
    $ inxi -s
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0C mobo: 45.0C 
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 
    # hddtemp /dev/sda
    /dev/sda: IC25N020ATCS04-0: 44C
    ~$ netcat localhost 7634
    |/dev/sda|IC25N020ATCS04-0|44|C|
    This is a old IBM A22m Laptop. So no cpu fan. Memtest might be in order also for you just in case you ended up with a funky stick of ram from upgrade purchase.

Conky string I use is (I also have acpi installed in my kernel)
    for cpu temp
    Code:
     Cpu: ${color e0e0e0}${acpitemp}°C${color}
    for hard drive temp
    Code:
    Hard Drive:${color e0e0e0}${hddtemp /dev/sda}C
    Look for bulging capacitors also on mobo. That is a worse case scenario though. lmsensors and hddtemp should tell you more on what is going on before shutdown if things are getting hot.

Right now, parted magic and gparted boot into the live cd, but any other distro I try to live boot takes me to grub rescue. I've tried grub-update, update-grub, install, install-grub, and grub-install, and they all tell me command not found. Gparted or parted magic show my partitions accurately, and show the sda1 as having the / flag (that is my primary partition on which Mageia is installed). I was in the middle of installing a distro when the computer did an auto shut down, and I guess it borked the mbr, grub, or both. If all else fails, I will put gparted back in and redo the whole drive. There is no data on it, just a test install, so nothing really lost but time, and I have wasted a bunch of that fiddling with it already.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I was in the middle of installing a distro when the computer did an auto shut down
    Sorry Bro. You sound screwed,blued,and tattooed. I did a dist-upgrade since I posted and got dropped to intrafms on my 3.4.2 kernel. Good thing I had my backup 3.3 kernel to boot up into. I init3 booted into 3.3 and used smxi to install

Code:
    $ uname -r
    3.4.0-11.dmz.1-liquorix-686
    So I guess my 3.4.2.i486.antix initrd image got borked during the dist-upgrade. Must be a bad spot in the universe for us Texans. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If the computer has been stood for a while, I'd suspect that the power supply hasn't fared well. You may be seeing spikes in CPU temperature because the voltage level being fed to your mainboard is fluctuating. Try all the usual stuff (you listed some of this already) and replace the thermal compound if you have any doubts about its quality (it's an easy, cheap fix and not worth risking components over), but I'd also look at replacing the PSU, even temporarily, to see if this is causing any problems. I've had power supplies die slow deaths before, and you can get some pretty odd behaviour with instant shut-offs and systems not powering up on the first button press.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

All this started after I installed Fedora, so on a hunch I went back and put the Fedora install disk in. It booted to a live cd where other distro's weren't, so I reinstalled it on the same sda. At least now my computer boots again and has a grub menu to choose distro's from. I got an error message about an incomplete update, so am fixing that. Will see what happens next. Thanks to all for the help.