Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two Optical Disc Burners. Both read fine however i was using my burner capabilities for the first time since installing linux almost a year ago and i ran ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Optical Disc Burner Issue

I have two Optical Disc Burners. Both read fine however i was using my burner capabilities for the first time since installing linux almost a year ago and i ran into a strange issue.

Optical Disc drive 1 is a CD-R/W DVD(+-)R/W Bluray-R and HDDVD-R burner

Optical Disc drive 2 is a newer a CD-R/W DVD(+-)R/W Bluray-R/RE.

Drive 1 errors out and Drive 2 burns.

Could Linux not be playing nice with the HD-DVD controller?

Also both cases i burned a DVD

My experience of disk burners is that they don't last very long in the real world compared to other components. I have an DVD cooker in my desktop, and it will barely read disks any more, let alone write them. I have an external cooker that doesn't get used often, and when I do get to use it seems to produce odd occasional errors. Even the disk cooker in this PC I'm using now (work kit - running a commercial, non-Linux OS) hasn't worked for over 2 years, and this PC is just 4 years old.

All you can do is remove the working one and see if the non-working one works after that. You could also give those optical disk cleaners a go, see if it can remove the build up of dust on the read/write head.

Linux doesn't do anything particularly destructive to DVD writers.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    Jmmm odd it might be that. I never have had optical disc issues but my luck might have run out
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff View Post
    My experience of disk burners is that they don't last very long in the real world compared to other components. I have an DVD cooker in my desktop, and it will barely read disks any more, let alone write them. I have an external cooker that doesn't get used often, and when I do get to use it seems to produce odd occasional errors. Even the disk cooker in this PC I'm using now (work kit - running a commercial, non-Linux OS) hasn't worked for over 2 years, and this PC is just 4 years old.

All you can do is remove the working one and see if the non-working one works after that. You could also give those optical disk cleaners a go, see if it can remove the build up of dust on the read/write head.

Linux doesn't do anything particularly destructive to DVD writers.