Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed an older Fedora Core onto my nephews computer to try and keep his brother from compulsively messing with Windows settings (and not knowing what he's up to). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

toshiba satellite l735d-3300

I just installed an older Fedora Core onto my nephews computer to try and keep his brother from compulsively messing with Windows settings (and not knowing what he's up to). The problem is that I can't get a network connection. I setup the wireless connection through network connections with the ssid and key, but the icon for network on the panel isn't giving me an option to search for wireless networks. I'm not sure if this means I haven't properly setup the network config, if the card isn't compatible, or if I'm overlooking something to make the wireless scanner appear in the panel. I looked through all the stock programs from the FC13 Live ISO for x86_64. The model is stated in the title, if this is a compatability issue does the newer FC offer more hope?

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by adnmance View Post
    I just installed an older Fedora Core onto my nephews computer to try and keep his brother from compulsively messing with Windows settings (and not knowing what he's up to). The problem is that I can't get a network connection. I setup the wireless connection through network connections with the ssid and key, but the icon for network on the panel isn't giving me an option to search for wireless networks. I'm not sure if this means I haven't properly setup the network config, if the card isn't compatible, or if I'm overlooking something to make the wireless scanner appear in the panel.
    Try this command, as root, to see if the driver can scan from the command line:

Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scanning
    substitute your wireless device for wlan0, if necessary. if you're not sure what the name is, take a look at the output of "ifconfig" or "iwconfig".

I looked through all the stock programs from the FC13 Live ISO for x86_64.
    I think you mean just plain Fedora 13. It stopped being Fedora Core at 6.

The model is stated in the title, if this is a compatability issue does the newer FC offer more hope?
    There is no guarantee, but F17 (Linux kernel 3.3.4) is certainly more likely than F13 (Linux kernel 2.6.33.3) to have the required drivers (and possibly firmware) and user space wireless tools.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for answering. I issued the commands you gave me, but there were some stipulations to that: for some reason, the only account i created during installation is not in the sudoers file. I've worked around this before, but it was a pain. I input the code as
    Code:
    su root iwlist wlan0 scanning
    and
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning
    and, when those failed to work, as
    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scanning
    The returned error on the last attempt was
    Code:
    wlan0 interface doesn't support scanning
    Also "ifconfig" did not list the interface names that I recognize it stated ipv6, some hex addresses, and generic names like cap ethernet. "iwconfig" said
    Code:
    lo no wireless connections.

eth0 no wireless connections.
    I may not be able to get elevated privledges without enabling the root account. Answers to that have been sketchy enough though that I'd rather have advice than go on a whim.
    Last edited by adnmance; 10-05-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: form

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by adnmance View Post
    Code:
    su root iwlist wlan0 scanning
    and
    Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning
    and, when those failed to work, as
    Code:
    iwlist wlan0 scanning
    The returned error on the last attempt was
    Code:
    wlan0 interface doesn't support scanning
    Also "ifconfig" did not list the interface names that I recognize it stated ipv6, some hex addresses, and generic names like cap ethernet. "iwconfig" said
    Code:
    lo no wireless connections.

eth0 no wireless connections.
    it sounds like your wireless device does not have drivers loaded. i would try F17 if I were you.