Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ieuzwales
Alright guys & gals, Total Linux noob here, trying to bring to life some functionality to an old laptop shaped relic found in the cupboard & hoping to give it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Friggin' awkward wireless driver pr*ck 124a:168b AirVast PRISM3 WLAN

Alright guys & gals,

Total Linux noob here, trying to bring to life some functionality to an old laptop shaped relic found in the cupboard & hoping to give it (working) to a girl I like.

Installed Zorin OS 6 Lite (Lubuntu) on an ECS (Elite Group) A535.

It has a 124a:168b AirVast PRISM3 WLAN internally installed & I can't get the f*cker to behave/work.

I took advice from a couple of guides online the most helpful of which being research.indocisc.com/ecs/ (Linux on ECS A530) which shares the same poorly designed wireless connectivity.

Subsequently installed ndiswrapper & latest linux-wlan-ng (didn't attempt to tinker with wlan-ng 'cause of 'noobiness') which allows sometimes (when ethernet cable connected) to recognise wireless which finds networks & attempt to connect but doesn't get any further. Further deets are in the txt file below.

wireless_setup.txt

Does your system come with NetworkManager? If you don't have it installed, get it from your package manager.

Once it's in, make sure its running, and use that to connect to your wireless network.

It'll take care of all your network connection issues. The 'linux-wlan-ng' package contains the driver modules needed by your kernel for wifi chipset, so you need that installed too.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

Yes NetworkManager is bundled with Zorin, as that's what allowed me to try to connect to a wireless network. linux-wlan-ng is installed again proven by the ability to get most of the way to connecting.

What happens is it attempts to connect to a wireless network intermittently and never actually connects after inserting user password then WPA2 password when prompted. It suddenly finds it's wireless capability along with networks to connect to,tries to connect to my home network..then disappears.

I have an inkling that the added details on research.indocisc.com/ecs/ hold the answers to my query, though I need help deciphering their meaning & how to implement the changes.

Although a noob inkling is not worth much..

Looking at that website, I'd say that they were having quite a bit of success with that wireless card and the drivers they talked about. You have the same package containing drivers, so you should have no problems making it all go... except you are.

I've been in similar situations to this too - you have a network card, but it just doesn't work consistently and reliably. The only thing I can think of is, if it's an old laptop, to try to see if the wireless antennae leads running from the network card has physically become dislodged from the card. When I had this kind of problem last, I ended up chucking the USB network adapter I was trying to use in the bin and moving to a wired solution for that computer.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Think you should reconsider your career, you're a computing clairvoyant. Burn the witch!! Not 30mins after your reply the wireless option disappeared altogether. Popped the hood and there it was, a knackered wireless antenna.

Pat yourself on the back mate. Job done.
    Roxoff likes this.