Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 3 gb micro sd card in a sd card adapter. It came formated as fat32, and I downloaded some ISO files to move to another computer. The ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to erase or format a micro SD card with ISO files copied on it.

I have a 3 gb micro sd card in a sd card adapter. It came formated as fat32, and I downloaded some ISO files to move to another computer. The move is done, but now I can't erase or format the card. I get an error saying that it is read only. I have toggled the lock switch, but all that did was let me copy the files to trash, not permanently remove them. How do I change the permissions on this card and the ISO's on it, to allow me to erase it? Googling reveals that many people seem to have this problem, but the only suggestion is to slide the lock switch or format, but that isn't working for me. Gparted isn't seeing the sd card.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Plug it in to the system, unmount the drive (don't select eject) and then use the dd command to erase it. Next, re-partition it, and create a new file system on the partition created. Need more detailed instructions? Just let me know.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thank you rubberman. I'm running sudo dd if=/dev/sdb, and a bunch of characters are flying by on the screen. When it finnishes I will try partitioning it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    Thank you rubberman. I'm running sudo dd if=/dev/sdb, and a bunch of characters are flying by on the screen. When it finnishes I will try partitioning it.
    Actually, you need to make that the output drive. To erase the drive, do this
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx
    where /dev/sdx is the drive, such as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc. What you are doing is just reading the drive contents to the screen...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks rubberman, but all attempts failed. Finally solved it another way. I even tried a different micro card adapter, neither one would let me access the microsd in anyway other than to add files to it or copy them off. Finally got smart and took the micro card out of the adapter and plugged it into the micro slot of my card bay. It erased that way easy as pie. Evidently the lock switch on both adapters wasn't doing anything to the micro card, so it wouldn't let me emty the trash or cut and remove the files that way.