Just received a cut-rate IDE DVD+-RW drive as a gift. Installed drive, rebuilt kernel & apps (USE="dvd" for Gentoo 2.6 kernel), created soft link from /dev/hdd to /dev/dvd, enabled DMA but am unable to mount a data cd or play a dvd with xine, mplayer, or ogle.

When I try to mount the drive, it spins for a while and the LED flashes but it eventually throws a No medium found exception. When I try to play a dvd I end up with an error message that libdvdcss cannot open the dvd for reading. I'm fairly certain that the OS is recognizing the drive as xcdroast detected it when it scanned during set-up and it is id'ed properly when booting--grepping dmesg for hdd pulls the right ID string.

Sort of new to this so I'm guessing I've made an obvious biff somewhere but have exhausted all the options I can think of. OTOH, I fear that this drive is unusable in the linux realm or is damaged in some way. Thing is, I don't know how to distinguish between the two cases. So:
1. has anyone had success using this drive with linux?
2. how the heck did you do it?

If error messages or output would help, let me know and I'll post forthwith (commands to generate would be helpful).