Find the answer to your Linux question:
My 1.8" IDE 4200 rpm hard drive is making clicking noises on my M&A Companion Netbook. I bought it used from a ebay personal Seller last year with Windows XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

zif 1.8" PATA SSD M&A Companion Netbook

My 1.8" IDE 4200 rpm hard drive is making clicking noises on my M&A Companion Netbook. I bought it used from a ebay personal Seller last year with Windows XP on it. It presently runs SolusOS 1.2 on it.

I know how to make a external USB and SD card Linux frugal or full install.

The main grip or bummer I have is trying to find either.

1. A good cheap pata zif ssd hardrive with decent read write speeds (around 90 to 120) without paying more than I did for the netbook.

2. A zif to usb female plug adapter that will plug into the main board zif connector internally so I can run Linux off the internal usb pen drive.

3. A 1.8" zif to sd board to use my 40pin zif cable to connect mainboard to adapter, slip it into the bay. Plug in a class 10 sd flash card. Close it up and install Linux to that.

I'd hate to use the external ports (sd or usb) to do this but it looks like
    I am being cornered into going this route. I am stubborn and cheap and am bummed out that pata ssd zif drives are so friggin expensive still. There is no option to use a 2.5" zif SSD drive, (no room) and sata zif ssd is not a option either.

Now to my question, (I have not asked one in ages in this forum). So come to a bro's rescue.
    With all you guys overseas and where ever. Maybe you can point me to one of my questions (link is cool).

I'd be happy with a conversion kit I can get mailed to me in this small one horse town (look left). I paid $124.00 dollars for this netbook back when I bought it and I see no sense in blowing $139.00 for a decent zif
    pata ssd drive. Maybe you guys know something I don't.

If it comes to it.

I will bite the bullet and just buy a class 10 32gb external SD flash card and just run Linux from the external sd flash card slot. I was just wondering if any of you know about anything better I can do without breaking the bank.

Thanks for reading this. What ever happens. I will update this thread to show what route I took. What distro will be installed. Details, period.

Let the dogs of war loose, (I like dogs ). Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Given what you paid for this system, it would cost more to fix it than to replace it! Get a new system (preferably with a Sata drive), and an external dock for the drive in your current system. Install what you want on the new system, and then copy your data over from the old drive.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Given what you paid for this system, it would cost more to fix it than to replace it! Get a new system (preferably with a Sata drive), and an external dock for the drive in your current system. Install what you want on the new system, and then copy your data over from the old drive.
    No data to recover since this netbook is just a beater netbook I carry on the bike. I use it like a mp player or for getting on the net while on the road on the bike. So recovering data is not a biggy. I have a 15" Acer dual core sata drive laptop, but it is a dedicated internal sata drive Harley Tuner Laptop with Windows 7, and runs linux off of external sd flash card.

So no need to buy another rubberman. I have more gear (OCD,hoarder) than a normal human being should own. Guess it comes in my gene pool plus living out in the boonies where stores are rare also. One good thing from that is it helped me learn using Linux in the long run. Instead of going to school and paying for the education I guess, I opted for throwing money at hardware and learning online instead. Just my way of doing things. Hands on beats theory instruction for me. It is how I learned to play harmonica also, way back when in the 70's. Same for Bikes.

Thanks for the reply and reading though. Like I said. I am a stubborn cuss. So I will fight this snafu till I get some kind of resolution I can stomach. No hurry on figuring this out yet though.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok Roky. I know you know your stuff. You ask, I opine! Have a Great Pumpkin Day/Night!

P.S. My wife and I have so much gear, that our house will be a prime excavation site for future archaeologists who are interested in the genesis of late 20th and early 21st century technology!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!