Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone I bought a Funai FDP_100 Photo printer from a boot sale and I can't get it to install, I'm running Mint 13 Cinnamon, lsusb shows the printer is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Funai-FDP-100 Photo printer

Hi everyone
    I bought a Funai FDP_100 Photo printer from a boot sale and I can't get it to install, I'm running Mint 13 Cinnamon, lsusb shows the printer is recognised but I can't find a driver, during the install procees there are no Funai drivers listed and I'm guided towards a generic text only driver which can't be right as this is a photo printer, I tried that driver and some other generic drivers nonetheless to no avail, when I try to print anything the system doesn't report any error messages in fact it says printing completed but nothing happens at the printer, should I continue trying other generic drivers or would I be wasting my time, any help or advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks

Graeme

Do you have CUPS installed? There are some drivers in the CUPS package. I'm not finding any info at all for that printer on Linux.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for your quick reply I don't think I've ever had such a quick response on any forum, yes I have cups installed but it doesn't list any Funai drivers at all let alone the particular one I'm looking for, Funai is obviously not a common make, but I had hoped maybe it was based on some other make of printer and I could use the driver for that or maybe some generic driver but the list is huge and I wouldn't know where to start.

Graeme

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Emegra View Post
    Hi Mike
    Thanks for your quick reply I don't think I've ever had such a quick response on any forum, yes I have cups installed but it doesn't list any Funai drivers at all let alone the particular one I'm looking for, Funai is obviously not a common make, but I had hoped maybe it was based on some other make of printer and I could use the driver for that or maybe some generic driver but the list is huge and I wouldn't know where to start.

Graeme
    We like to think we're pretty good at fast responses but sometimes it's just not true and can't be avoided. I was hoping that Funai would be listed in the CUPS database and you could just use the nearest matching driver to test on your printer. Later this evening I will be back at my Linux machine and I can do more searching. There are other packages available, I think. Try looking at foomatic in your repos, that's one name I am sure of.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

From what I can judge from a quick search, this is a discontinued product.
    The company funai now seems to focus on TV and hifi components.
    There is no, not even an old support page for this fdp100 on the site.
    So it is impossible to look up the specs.

Also no trace of this printer in cups and and openprinting databases.

Sorry, but I would say: The fdp 100 is useless, throw it away.
    Last edited by Irithori; 10-28-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typos
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    There is no, not even and old support page for this fdp100 on the site.

Sorry, but I would say it is useless.
    That would explain my zero search results.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    There is no, not even an old support page for this fdp100 on the site.

Sorry, but I would say: The fdp 100 is useless, throw it away.
    I think you're right, I checked their website and there is no support pages for any printers listed, just TV & HIFI etc as you said,

it's no great loss really I can install it to my wifes Windows PC , Ironically it wouldn't surprise me if some or all of their smart TV's & DVD players etc ran on Linux free of charge, yet they wont give us a second thought when it comes to writing drivers for their products, I emailed them and asked why they left out the Linux drivers on the installation CD but we all know that will fall on deaf ears, but I suppose it does no harm reminding companies that there are 20 million plus Linux users in the world,

Personally I think any company that uses Linux code to power devices that also sell PC Peripherals should be boycotted by all Linux users if they ignore us when it comes down to writing device drivers, anyway I'll get off my soapbox now and thank you all for your help, this is the first time I've sought help on this forum and I'm I'm very impressed and thankfull for the help You've all given me.

Many thanks

Graeme