I have a USB 3.0 ready computer / linux install and i just purchased a USB 3.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure to be used with my sata 2.0 hard drive. I plugged everything in and the disk partition utility i use says the device is a 480 mb/s USB 2.0 Enclosure.
My first thought was the enclosure is backwards compatible with 2.0 and several other devices plugged into my USB 3.0 were USB 2.0 devices so i cleared out everything and put them on what i thought was a USB 2.0 hub and i disabled legacy support in bios. However that did not change anything. After further examination i found out that all my devices are shown in a device manager to be plugged into 2 usb root hubs both EHCI controllers and named USB 1 and 2 even thought the individual ports link up to 3.0 ready hubs. I do not know why that is. But checked my sys directory for usb devices and it showed 6 root hubs USB 1 , 2, 3 ,4 ,5 ,6 respectfully with USB 4 and 6 running at 5.0gb/s however in my device manager USB 3, 4 ,5 ,6 are all labelled and detected as PCI Bridges instead of XHCI and EHCI controller hubs.
Why would that occur and do i have something misconfiguration
? Why are my USB 3.0 ports being routed for lack of a better word to a root EHCI controlled USB 2,0 hub