Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just bought an nvidia card for my father. Now he keeps calling me, saying he has no option to plug it in. Since he has a normal intel p3, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

No port for video cards?

I just bought an nvidia card for my father.
    Now he keeps calling me, saying he has no option to plug it in.
    Since he has a normal intel p3, I find this hard to believe.
    Their for my question:

Is this possible?

Linux Engineer
    We'll as far as I remember "back in the p3's day)
    you father either doesnt have an AGP port, which was popular a few years ago on "onboard" MB's... everything was already included on the MotherBoard... that could well be your case... you would have to find out for yourself... if you can give us the exact MotherBoard your father has we'll be able to determine wether it has an AGP port or not

Greetings
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UgoDeschamps
    We'll as far as I remember "back in the p3's day)
    you father either doesnt have an AGP port, which was popular a few years ago on "onboard" MB's... everything was already included on the MotherBoard... that could well be your case... you would have to find out for yourself... if you can give us the exact MotherBoard your father has we'll be able to determine wether it has an AGP port or not

Greetings
    Damn.
    So that is possible.
    If that would be the case, is their any way to rebuild it?
    I'll go over their tomorrow to see myself...

Ugh, why is buying pressents aways that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    If that would be the case, is their any way to rebuild it?
    I think you will ether have to get a new graphics card which is PCI, or get a new motherbord which can have P3 as well as AGP slot,
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    as dylunio mentionned getting a new MB would be a nice idea... BUT you'll have to take in consideration that you'll have to buy a sound card, network card,... everything that is onboard basicly, that is IF it's an onboard MB...

The best way to check, is to onpen your box... Or simply by looking at the back of your box, if all the plugs are are grouped together (not apearing as PCI card) then its all onboard baby

Getting a PCI card is probably not what you want since you want to replace the current one,... PCI video card is an old technologie that isn't exactly what your lokking for... it would be like changing an already outdated video card with an even worst card... that been said theres a new technologie with PCI called PCI-EXPRESS with a transfer WAY greater then the old AGP interface... but since your board is with a P3 theres no chance you have that on...

Hit back if you need any more info
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Banned
    Well, I still have to visit my parents, but from what I've been told by phone, he probably has indeed this onboard crap(I never knew they still made crap like that with p3 systems).
    I think his current video card has about 16MB mem.
    Do their exist better pci cards.
    His only problem is playing DVDs(+ a TV output).

Linux Engineer
    DVD playing with tv output isnt a problem...
    I know that Creative did build a PCI DVD decoder card /w DVD player (cdrom) a few years ago... I know cause I had one... this is deffinetly to be considered if your father doesnt want to go throu the pain of buying an almost new computer...

Tell us if you need any more info