Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am considering getting a NAS device/Wireless Hard drive. This is mostly for backing up and storing files. I have Ubuntu on my laptop and my hard drive is full. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NAS Device VS Wireless Hard Drive

I am considering getting a NAS device/Wireless Hard drive. This is mostly for backing up and storing files. I have Ubuntu on my laptop and my hard drive is full. I have a 320 gig USB hard drive that is full also. I want to get a 2 or 3 TB drive.

My concern is it working with Ubuntu Properly. I have a Dual Boot machine but I rarely use windows and have no need to back anything up on the windows side. I just want to be able to drag and drop my files.

These thing have such mixed reviews I am tempted to buy a USB device.

Here are a few I am looking at.

Western Digital My Book Live 2 TB Personal Cloud Storage Drive

Seagate BlackArmor NAS 220 2-Bay 2 TB (2 x 1 TB) N

Thanks Chad

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have a couple of NAS units that are attached to my LAN, accessible via WiFi or wired ethernet. They work great (Buffalo RAID-5 NAS arrays), and have been quite reliable. Speaking as a former Seagate consultant, I haven't personally had good experience with their consumer-level devices, and have had significant overheating problems with their bare Barracuda drives over the past few years (any drive over 500GB). Mostly, I build my own arrays using WD drives these days. I prefer Sata enclosures, but most of those will also provide a USB 2.0 or 3.0 connection as well. The only downside to that is they have to be attached to a running computer. You might want to look for an enclosure that has ethernet connectivity, and plug that into your network switch / WiFi access point. Then, you can use it for backup from anywhere in your home.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks rubberman I am going to look into the Buffalo. I am a little confused on my options but will try to do some more reading tomorrow.