Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello friendly guys, I have managed to create a strange problem... A hard disk (/dev/sdb) has lost all its partitions. When booting the procecssing uevents takes very long and when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy hard disk not accessible (uevent timeout at boot)

Hello friendly guys,
    I have managed to create a strange problem...

A hard disk (/dev/sdb) has lost all its partitions. When booting the procecssing uevents takes very long and when it's finished all the partitions on this disk are ignored because of a timeout.

while i am pretty comfortable around linux I have never dealt with harddisk recovery... I have no idea how to talk to that disk.

in /dev/ there is only sdb created, no partitions sdb[1-7]
    Code:
    $ ls /dev/sdb* -la
    brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Nov 27 00:20 /dev/sdb
    and the only other command I know to obtain information about disks is hdparm:
    Code:
    $ hdparm /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdb:
     HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Input/output error
     IO_support    =1849782529 (???)
     readonly      =  0 (off)
     readahead     = 256 (on)
     geometry      = 0/255/63, sectors = 0, start = 0
    It's a Western Digital Caviar Green 640GB drive.
    testdisk, gparted, fdisk etc. don't recognize the device any more, here is an excerpt from /var/log/messages:
    Code:
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232557] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb]  Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232563] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb]  Sense Key : Aborted Command [current] [descriptor]
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232569] Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex):
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232572]         72 0b 00 00 00 00 00 0c 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 00 
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232584]         00 00 00 7f 
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232589] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb]  Add. Sense: No additional sense information
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232594] sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 2c 7d 96 f7 00 00 08 00
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232605] end_request: I/O error, dev sdb, sector 746428151
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232609] Buffer I/O error on device sdb4, logical block 28
    Nov 26 23:30:43 sysresccd kernel: [  150.232613] Buffer I/O error on device sdb4, logical block 29
    Now I probably should admit what I was trying to do...

I have a new SSD on which I wanted to install Windows7 (and probably Debian). First thing I did was setting the SATA-Mode to AHCI in BIOS, which left all my installed operating systems unable to boot, so I used a SystemRescueCD live cd (gentoo based).
    I have got a Windows-image from DreamSpark (as a file, not as DVD). You can install Windows from a running Windows using the .wim files inside that image whith a program called 'imagex.exe' and my plan was to do this from a running linux as imagex runs under wine...
    However the SystemRescueCD has no wine, so I tried using the wine already installed on sdb (the disk that's now gone...).
    I mounted the image and the SSD-partition to the wine-dosdrives folder, chrooted into that linux's '/' and started 'wineconsole cmd'. Apart from some display errors imagex.exe was working flawless (I could watch the disk fill up).
    That far it was really fun...

To make that Windows bootable, another program is necessary, called bsdboot... that one crashed and afterwards I could not access any partition of sdb any more.
    Now please don't laugh!... or rather, laugh! but please don't yell

While the data on that disk is not vital, it is also mostly not backed up. So if there is any way to recover some things, I'd appreciate that.

Thank you for any help, I will gladly provide more output from programs that could be helpfull.

Good night
    Sammy

Hi and Welcome !

log is showing /dev/sdb4 I/O error. We have to check partition structure of your Hard disk. Execute fdisk -l command as root ( use su or sudo ) and post output here.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    log is showing /dev/sdb4 I/O error. We have to check partition structure of your Hard disk. Execute fdisk -l command as root ( use su or sudo ) and post output here.
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It shows these errors on all /dev/sdb[1-7], when the system is up only /dev/sdb exists, no partitions.
    fdisk -l then creates no output at all.

When booting the machine this morning for the first time it worked without a problem, the drive was mountable, all files seemed to be present, no errors were detected. Is it possible that there is a firmware-error/firmware-setup-error that gets reset after some time without power? Is it possible to find and correct strange values using hdparm?

The second and further times booting this morning I had different problems. Sometimes the drive would not be detected by the bios (does not really matter for linux) and booting hangs at ATA errors (ata4.00, i don't know how the numbering works), cycling between 'ATA link established', some error and 'hard reseting link'.
    I'll try to write down some more and more accurately when I'm back home.

two messages I got are:
    ata4: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
    ata4: SRST failed (errno=-16)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is it possible that there is a firmware-error/firmware-setup-error that gets reset after some time without power? Is it possible to find and correct strange values using hdparm?
    First of all, check your Hard disk using tools provided by your Hard disk manufacturer. Look into other options after verifying Hard disk status.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First