Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently switched my PC for a gaming laptop. However it runs 7970m and Intel HD 4000 in switchable configuration. I'm not exactly sure how this works but it seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AMD switchable graphics support

I recently switched my PC for a gaming laptop. However it runs 7970m and Intel HD 4000 in switchable configuration. I'm not exactly sure how this works but it seems to run the Intel HD 4000 as a default and switch up to the AMD card when configured.

Does Linux, any distro/driver, support this? It's a bit wonky even in Windows 7 but does work after some config. So far I've only tested ut with Ubuntu since this was most likely to work easily. It detected I needed the AMD drivers and installed them but after reboot it couldn't actually see my card, only the Intel.

I can't force enable anything in the bios either, I have the XMG bios which looks like it has been some what locked down to basic settings only.

Just Joined!
    You may want to have a look at the bumblebee project. Afaik automatic detection/switching of the GPU's is not yet supported.