Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everybody. I'm planning to assembly a PC. The following is my options: 1. phenom ii x4 965 2. bulldozer fx 8320 3. intel i5/ e3-1235. Which one performs better ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

which cpu perfomrs better in kernel compilation

Hello everybody. I'm planning to assembly a PC. The following is my options:

1. phenom ii x4 965
    2. bulldozer fx 8320
    3. intel i5/ e3-1235.

Which one performs better when doing this? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Linux Engineer
    Phoronix releases / compiles benchmarks for kernel compiling. Check them out.

Linux Engineer
    Also, make sure the processor you select has all the technologies you want. Specifically speaking, I know that Intel VT-d isn't included on all processors, which is necessary if you want to virtualize 64 bit OSs.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    More cores == more threads == faster operation when running complex or multiple processes. When building a kernel, I use 8 cores with the -j 8 (8 jobs) argument to the make command. A kernel that takes 2 hours on a single core (default) will be done in 15 minutes with 8 cores. As to whether the AMD or Intel chips are faster core-by-core is something I don't know, but I think the current/latest intel CPUs have faster I/O (CPU<->RAM) than AMD these days, and that is critical to kernel builds.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!