Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I got a CD RW for christmas and when i put it in my machine and booted to root, Linux found it and i will show it in the K3B ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Mounting a CD RW

I got a CD RW for christmas and when i put it in my machine and booted to root, Linux found it and i will show it in the K3B software, but when i go to /media/cdrom it accesses my other cd-rom drive and will not display the cd information that is in the cdrw. please help me with mounting the cdrw. thanks
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD
    LapTop Toshiba 105s. Pentium 75, 45 meg ram, 500 mg hdd.
    Server Compaq Proliant 166 mhz cpu. 168 meg ram, 2 x 4 gig hdd, 2 x 9 gig hdd

Linux Newbie
    Sounds like you need to edit 'fstab'. Dir /etc/fstab

Mount the drive with
    Code:
    mount /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrecorder
    (replace the drives and mountpoint with your system ones.

Then add a line to the fstab that looks like this
    Code:
    /dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    subfs      fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
    hope this helps;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Newbie
    great thanks i apprecaite all the help
    Desk TopAMD Semperon 3200+, MSI KT6V mobo, ATI Radeon 64mg DDR, 256 mg 3200, 40 gig HD

Linux Newbie
    okay now i am really stuck. i was in root and put in the commands for mounting the cd recorder. it shows it in the root under k3b but when i go to my other login users it is not there, and when i try to mount in for other users it gives an error that /media/cdrecorder file or folder is missing.

also do i have to mount it every time i put in a new cd or can it work like my cd rom that i can put discs in and out of all day and it will read them with out have to remount it every time.

Thanks

Linux Engineer
    Manually mounting a device, will only be active FROM the session that mounted it this meens, if you mounted from root... then ended the session, logued in the session user, the session was terminated so user wont access the mounted device since its not mounted anymore...

Simply add the mount in your fstab... this will mount on EVERY bootup of your system...

Please follow up in you require more information
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    what do i need to put in the fstab. I put exactly what dylunio put in his post and then rebooted the system. do i also need to put in there

mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder

Man I really like linux, but getting everything configured is kind of a pain in the neck

Linux Engineer
    add ,auto in the options
    Code:
    ,iocharset=utf8,auto
    this will "auto" the mounting of the device at startup...
    you shouldnt have to manualy mount it after that...

also as for your comment :
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badex96
    Man I really like linux, but getting everything configured is kind of a pain in the neck
    Specific Configuration is "THE" way to have your system configured the way you want it... Windows will do everything for you I must admit that it's way better this way since even my grandMa can install Windows XP!! BUT the fact that the system will be super unstable, is only cause a computer choose the specific configuration.. a human intervention will always be better then any computer or software... this is why you manually configure your system... and its also why its that stable!
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    yeah true that i guess. i am just windozeised and have to break my self of it then i will be aokay i think. thanks man i really apprecaite all the help.

Linux Newbie
    ohh yeah i was gonna ask do i have to include the

fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=ut f8 0 0,auto

or just do this

fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=ut f8,auto

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast