Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I know that Xfce is really good with older computers, but was wondering about how well it preforms with Higher End PC's. Especially with Steam on Linux now. Because ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Xfec & Higher End PC's?

Hello!

I know that Xfce is really good with older computers, but was wondering about how well it preforms with Higher End PC's. Especially with Steam on Linux now. Because it's a lightweight Distrubution, does it make it now so great with Higher End computers?

oz
    forum.guy
    It should run fine on higher end computers. My own boxes are higher end units, but I still prefer to run lightweight DEs and WMs on them rather than run a super-bloated heavyweight desktop environment.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I just wanted to know that if I have a lightweight distrubution that it would take full use of the higher end components when I need them to. Like gaming on Steam.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Indeed. I run XFCE on my quad core (16GB) desktop and my 8 core (8GB) laptop and both really fly. I think Steam is only going to be available on Ubuntu initially so that would probably include Xubuntu
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Indeed. I run XFCE on my quad core (16GB) desktop and my 8 core (8GB) laptop and both really fly. I think Steam is only going to be available on Ubuntu initially so that would probably include Xubuntu
    Right... I prefer "super snappy" when it comes to machine performance. In my mind, there's no need to bog a strong computer down with lots of extra fluff and glitter just because it's available, unless of course, the user spends lots of time admiring their desktop or showing it off to others. I do neither of those.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Right... I prefer "super snappy" when it comes to machine performance. In my mind, there's no need to bog a strong computer down with lots of extra fluff and glitter just because it's available, unless of course, the user spends lots of time admiring their desktop or showing it off to others. I do neither of those.
    I confess to teaming XFCE with both Compiz and Emerald as I do like a bit of eye candy. They don't bog things down at all though.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I confess to teaming XFCE with both Compiz and Emerald as I do like a bit of eye candy.
    It's good that it's available because we all like different things on our machines, but I installed Compiz once a few years back and disliked it so much that it was removed in less than 30 minutes!

I've recently dropped maintaining my Gnome3 system altogether because it's become so slow and clunky, but do still maintain one KDE4 box and one Xfce box so that I'll know what they are up to performance and feature-wise. My main boxes for everyday use are currently running Awesome, DWM, Openbox, and PekWM, all as stand-alone window managers with the simplest themes I can find. My hardware is plenty powerful enough to run just about anything available, but I still prefer snappy.
    oz

If you don't turn on all of the effects then Compiz is OK. I like Wobbly Windows, Expo, Window Decorations and fades on minimize etc. There are a lot of over the top effects in there

Openbox is a great lighter alternative that I also like.

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent