Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by oz As already noted above, the instructions for using Gparted can be found on the Parted Magic website. You'll need to create a partition table for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    As already noted above, the instructions for using Gparted can be found on the Parted Magic website. You'll need to create a partition table for the new drive if you haven't done that already. Click on "Device" in the menu and select the appropriate partition table for your device. Then you can proceed with setting up partitions and formatting them.

Additional documentation can be found on the Gparted website:

GParted -- GParted Manual

GParted -- Documentation

When it comes to partitioning, using gparted will be about as easy as it gets.
    I have the partition created. But as of now I can't write to the disk. I started setting it up by mounting it using the terminal, but went to bed before I could finish. I got to where I created a folder in the partition where I should be able to save files to, but I do not have permissions as it says. The guie you provided, at a quick look at it, does not say things about mounting or pointing directories.
    How can I set this up to give me permissions to use this disk?
    I am on the admisistration account. the only account on the computer.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtisCoburn View Post
    The guie you provided, at a quick look at it, does not say things about mounting or pointing directories.
    How can I set this up to give me permissions to use this disk?
    I am on the admisistration account. the only account on the computer.
    The guide posted above doesn't and shouldn't talk about file permissions because that's a different subject from partitioning and formatting. You can take a look at either or both of the following pages for instructions on setting file permissions under Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions

File Permissions in Ubuntu

Also, be sure you don't allow yourself to get into the bad habit of doing everything under the administrator account.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Be sure to check out the following Ubuntu documentation for adding your new drive, along with any other docs that might apply:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...gANewHardDrive

If you are past partitioning and formatting stage already, you can read the part about two-thirds the way down the page about different mounting options for your drive.
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2