Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
So I decided on another motherboard and case. Sadly I had to ditch the barebones kit but here are the new specs. CASE: Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So I decided on another motherboard and case. Sadly I had to ditch the barebones kit but here are the new specs.

CASE:
    Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 120mm LED Fan, 4x 5.25 Bays, 5x 3.5 Bays
    Thermaltake V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Case - ATX, Micro ATX, 120mm LED Fan, 4x 5.25 Bays, 5x 3.5 Bays at TigerDirect.com

CASE FANS

Kingwin CFBL-012LB LED Case Fan - 120mm, Blue
    Kingwin CFBL-012LB LED Case Fan - 120mm, Blue at TigerDirect.com

MOTHERBOARD

BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

MOTHERBOARD STANDOFFS

StarTech STANDOFF632 Motherboard Standoff Screws - #6-32, 15 Pack, ATX
    StarTech STANDOFF632 Motherboard Standoff Screws - #6-32, 15 Pack, ATX at TigerDirect.com

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ965FBGMBOX - 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Processor with Fan
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ965FBGMBOX - 3.40GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Processor with Fan at TigerDirect.com

GPU

EVGA GeForce GT 610 02G-P3-2617-KR Video Card - 2GB, GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-link DVI, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11
    EVGA GeForce GT 610 02G-P3-2617-KR Video Card - 2GB, GDDR3, PCI-Express 2.0 (x16), 2x Dual-link DVI, Mini-HDMI, DirectX 11 at TigerDirect.com

MEMORY

Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS 8GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz, 2x 4GB
    Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS 8GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz, 2x 4GB at TigerDirect.com

HARD DRIVE

Toshiba HDKPC03 DT01ACA100 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA, 3.5"
    Toshiba HDKPC03 DT01ACA100 1TB Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, SATA, 3.5 at TigerDirect.com

POWER SUPPPLY

Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration
    Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration at TigerDirect.com

I read several reviews saying the motherboard works nicely under Linux. I definitely feel more comfortable with this setup than the previous.

Just Joined!
    If anyone wants to further coment on this thread, feel free! I have made lots of changes to the actual hardware that I plan on getting so take that into account if you decide to give me any pointers. I have been doing lots more reading and watching youtube videos so I am starting to feel more and more satisfied with my understanding of what goes into biulding a computer. Thanks for any future comments. I will be checking this thread somewhat regularly and will mark it as solved probably in like a week or so.

You guys have been very helpful so far, as always.

Linux Newbie
    Does the case your interested in purchasing specifically say that it does not come with motherboard standoffs. I can not speak to be an authority on every case ever made but ive built 7 computers and each case came with all the standoffs, screws, etc needed to install a system.

One thing you might consider purchasing as an upgrade or initially is a non stock CPU heatsink if you do anything that could be considered "processor intensive" the processors can get up there heat wise. As for the fans you were asking what is the difference between plugging them into the motherboard vs plugging them into the power supply directly. Well most modern fans have a physical switch that you can set for fan speed as well as the ability to have there fan speeds adjusted by hardware (fan controller) or software (mobo or tool in the OS) if you plug them in to the motherboard. So to be concise. Its dealers choice do you want to be able to monitor your fans or do you want to just plug them into molex and be done with it either option is good.

Other than that your build looks very good.

Linux Engineer
    I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1090T. Performance while running multiple VMs has been outstanding.

Your x4 selection should also be more than adequate for years to come.

I have a FX8120, and despite the bad reviews, it kills on anything that is multithreaded. I use gentoo Linux so it does very well.

I also have 16 GB of ddr3, which I use to put my /tmp folder in. You can never have too much horsepower.

You may want to look into getting an ssd for the hard drive. That will make a HUGE difference in noticeable speed.

I usually stick with Asus motherboards, the only other ones I would consider really would be gigabyte, but my house is Asus exclusively.

I would definitely get a good corsair or pcp&c power supply, and if I were going to buy a 6 series nvidia card, I wouldn't get lower than a 660ti.

My PC is water cooled and I dual boot to play games. I don't really know your budget or what is available to you either. If you aren't gaming and that PC will cost less than 400 then that isn't a bad build.

Of course, I am not the one buying or building this PC, so whatever, just throwing in my 2cents.

Link to pictures of my setup:
    http://sdrv.ms/QO2Qod

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the input. I did realize that the standoffs were not a necessary purchase so I took that off of the list I'm making. Thanks for the info regarding the fans Alpha90. I will keep that in mind.

I've been told to get an aftermarket CPU cooler about a thousand times from like a million different people, maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it. lol

mizzle, I'm actually thinking on ditching the GPU for the intiail build and going with the AMD A10 trinity with a FM2 socket mobo. Going that route I think I will have more room to upgrade. The A10 can handle minecraft without a problem(the most graphics intesive game I play).
    Also, I can go with much faster memory(1333 vs 1866). I then will start setting aside money for a decent video card. Going this route will drop the initial purchase down 60 dollars or so. Plus the memory and CPU is significantly faster. Graphics performance will take a bit of a hit
    but that can be easily remmedied down the road.

I also think that, since the FM2 socket is brand new, there will be more room for upgrades down the road. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I am going to be buying stuff on the 12th with March.

Just Joined!
    Gruven, have you had much troubles with linux support on your motherboards? Just curious. I didn't go with ASUS because I tried to find a review where a linux user has had no issues with linux support on whatever mobo I happen to pick out.

Good input, I am aware that an SSD will greatly improve load times and such but for a budget build I can't swing it at the moment. Also, with the video card, I did look at that card, it's a little pricey so as I said in my previous post, I'm going to add one in later.
    I also plan on adding in an SSD eventually becuase those are quite nice. I want to do a budget build that runs fairly well initially and leaves me with tons of room to upgrade. That's really my goal here.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by goldfish777 View Post
    I've been told to get an aftermarket CPU cooler about a thousand times from like a million different people, maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it. lol

mizzle, I'm actually thinking on ditching the GPU for the intiail build and going with the AMD A10 trinity with a FM2 socket mobo. Going that route I think I will have more room to upgrade. The A10 can handle minecraft without a problem(the most graphics intesive game I play).
    Also, I can go with much faster memory(1333 vs 1866). I then will start setting aside money for a decent video card. Going this route will drop the initial purchase down 60 dollars or so. Plus the memory and CPU is significantly faster. Graphics performance will take a bit of a hit
    but that can be easily remmedied down the road.

I also think that, since the FM2 socket is brand new, there will be more room for upgrades down the road. What are your thoughts on the matter?

I am going to be buying stuff on the 12th with March.
    After market cooler is a not a bad idea if you want your machine to run a little quieter, but the stock coolers are more than adequate. I'm not a fan of over clocking, I don't feel the juice is worth the squeeze.

If you are going for regular desktop use / light gaming, then I think the Trinity series of APUs present a great value. I have an A8 laptop on the way, but have not used one on a desktop yet. Upgrades in the future seem doubtful for the FM2 socket. After all, the FM2 socket replaced the less than 2 years old FM1 socket. I wouldn't count on AMD giving an upgrade path for the APU line at this point.

AMD's approach is that processing for x86 applications has plateaued. You won't see much of a real world difference under normal usage of either the A10 or the Phenom II x4 for everyday use. The future of computing is going to rely more heavily on the graphics side of the house, with ever-increasing resolutions, etc.

I think either approach represents great value, but for normal desktop use I would get the A10.

Just Joined!
    So with upgradability in mind than you think I should go AM3+ over FM2? I read that AMD was going to standardize FM2 and AM3+. AMD Trinity for Desktops. Part 2: Socket FM2 Platform and AMD A10-5800K Processor Review - X-bit labs

Although, four cores at 3.8 GHz is more than adequate and will remaine adequate for years to come. Hmmm... interesting thoughts. I will look into it a little more.

No problems whatsoever with my motherboard in Linux. Even most of the sensors are supported in lm sensors. I built my current computer with the intentions of being fully Linux compatible and succeeded.

Btw, my 8 core FX8120 is stock at 3.1 and over clocks to about 4.5 on stock voltage with minimal temperature increase.

I have a friend with an A8 laptop and the graphics are better than intel, but not by a whole lot. He can run Diablo III, but it lags.

What is your budget? Maybe I can help you find some cheap parts, or have some laying around, who knows. I have been building computers for about 22 years, and using Linux for about 18 of those.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast