Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Western Digital Passport Essential 1TB (USB 3.0), Model #WD10TMVW-11ZSMS1, external hard drive. A few months ago I was plugging my hard drive into my laptop, via an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Need to recover data from hard drive platters

I have a Western Digital Passport Essential 1TB (USB 3.0), Model #WD10TMVW-11ZSMS1, external hard drive.

A few months ago I was plugging my hard drive into my laptop, via an eSATA/USB 2.0 port. I believe that the USB 3.0 cable somehow got disconnect while plugged into the eSATA/USB 2.0 port.

The second after I notice that my hard drive was disconnected, via Windows 7's disconnect sound fx, my hard drive wasn't showing up on Windows 7's My Computer ‘Hard Drive' section. I tried using recover programs with no luck.

I believe that the there's something wrong with either the PCB and/or Actuator Arm are malfunctioning and the platters are still good and still spins. I believe that some or most of my data can be retrieved be either replacing the PCB & Actuator Arm on my hard drive OR taking my hard drive's platters and placing them into a working hard drive of the same type and model.

Can anybody suggest any hard drive recovery company's that can perform the tasks I listed above. I would prefer places somewhere within Michigan, but anywhere within the US will be fine.

Thanks for your help.

Which recovery program have you used till now?
    Does any Linux distro detect your Hard disk? What does fdisk -l show on connecting External Hard disk?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

No my hard drive doesn't show up on any linux distros. I beileve that the actuator arm aren't working. So right now my hard drive is beyond any help from any software.

Do you know of any hard drive recovery placing that can retrieve my data off the platters?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGuy03 View Post
    No my hard drive doesn't show up on any linux distros. I beileve that the actuator arm aren't working. So right now my hard drive is beyond any help from any software.

Do you know of any hard drive recovery placing that can retrieve my data off the platters?
    There are a number of data recovery services that can do this. They aren't cheap, and the drive itself will be rendered permanently unusable. Also, they aren't cheap (sic). I wanted to get a 2TB array recovered, and was quoted over $1000 USD to do so... It wasn't worth it to me, but that is something only you can decide. Do some Googling and reputation checking. Most reputable companies will provide you with a top-end estimate for a given type/size of drive. They will (or should) put it in a clean room, remove the platters, and use sophisticated tools to read the data off the platters, returning that data to you either on a new drive, or available for online download for some period of time.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I've had a similar thing happened to me with my 1TB WD external HD. I tried multiple data recovery software but none would read the hard drive until I ran with GetDataBack NTFS, the only one that was able to read my hard drive and recover my data http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm. You should give it a try