Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just bought an HDMI Cable to attach my TV to my linux box and I ran into an issue I do not know quiet how to solve. I run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

X server issue when trying to extend my desktop screen to a 40in TV

I just bought an HDMI Cable to attach my TV to my linux box and I ran into an issue I do not know quiet how to solve. I run Debian Squeeze with a custom built 3.2.28 kernel and in bios & boot the new monitor tv works and in the TTY's the monitor works but when X is started it suddenly becomes disabled and when i try to enable it i receive an error message stating

The Selected configuration for displays could not be applied

requested position/size for crtc 347 is outside the allowed limit: Position:=(3840,0), size=(1920, 1080), maximum=(3840,1920)

I haven't played with squeeze much, so I'm not sure what all is in it. But I *assume* that X is probably a pretty old version. There's been a lot of work in X lately in regards to dual monitors in general and HDMI in particular.

Since you're rolling your own kernels you may want to look into back porting a newer version of X. And maybe OpenGL as well, since it goes hand in hand with X in a lot of rendering jobs.

Another thing that can make a HUUUUGE dif: Is your HDMI port hardwired in to an IGPU or a DGPU? And if it's a DGPU is it a hybrid or truly discrete?

Had lunch and realized I forgot a few things:

With the newer X a lot of it is plug and play now. You might just want to upgrade to wheezy.

If that is a no go then you're going to have to get hackalicious.

How much so depends on what you want to do.

If backporting the new X is a no go then I've read about (but never set up myself) a solution on older X where you boot in to the shell and then start (techincally) a "second" X session on the external monitor using the export display command. Where you export to will depend on a lot of things. IE if this is a laptop and the HDMI cable is plugged in to the IGPU then you will export to monitor 1, if the cable is plugged in to a DGPU you will (usually) export to monitor 8.

And in older X a lot of times it is necessary to go in to etc/X11/X11.confg and manually add all of the info about the monitor. That in and of itself make be enough to fix your problem since your working with a newer kernel.

This is as specfic as I can be without knowing more about your hardware. This should be enough info to point you in the right direction on some googles. If not post back with your exact hardware specs and I'll see if I can't be a little more helpful.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I think it turns out that the problem was one that was completely outside of my scope of thought. As I upgraded... purged then reinstalled X and then the flgrx driver I stumbled upon an oddity. I had unplugged one of my monitors and all of a sudden the configuration I had made worked. So doing some research about the hardware itself I found that the ATI graphics cards can support 4 monitors on its five video out ports however the HDMI and DVI x2 Ports together strain the card so much with various explanations ranging from insufficient vram to drawing more power than the card supports where as ATI 4 monitors on 1 card claims comes from 2 HDMI/DVI ports and 2 Mini Display ports. However as I do not have the correct adapter with me I can not verify this yet

And on weird things like that it could be just abouit anything. I'll throw another one at you: You may be fine on the Volt-Amp draw on the card, but be drawing too many Watts in that configuration. But, what ever it is, it sounds like you're on track to get it fixed. When you iron it out post the solution and save the next guy the headache.