Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just got an old machine from a friend and it doesn't work. When I turn it on, the vent on the PSU and the one on the board start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dead motherboard?

I just got an old machine from a friend and it doesn't work. When I turn it on, the vent on the PSU and the one on the board start spinning, keyboard leds flash once, the CPU gets warm, but I get no picture on the screen - like if the monitor wouldn't be connected (the graphic card works).
    Is it possible that it still works and something else is broken?

Linux Engineer
    can you unplug the monitor, and turn it on, if you cant see an image saying that its doesnt recive input, try playing with contrast (it might be too dark, "I had this problem this week-end a smart-ass friend wanted to get me on this one") make sure you video card is properly inserted.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

I doubt it is you motherboard, because when I dropped my computer on the floor and my motherboard was killed, it started to just make a lot of strange beep's when I turned it on.

Can you hear if the hdd's are being activated?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The monitor works, and I tried 2 PCI and 1 AGP card and I always got the same result. Also, if I attach a CD drive, I can't open it (the power supply works, though).

Linux Engineer
    Thats some serious issue your having there...
    if you see the monitor saying no input when computer OFF...
    did you try another monitor...
    did you try your video card into another computer...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Is there a built-in video card on the motherboard? If so, it may be ignoring the ones that you insert in favor of that one...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Is there a built-in video card on the motherboard? If so, it may be ignoring the ones that you insert in favor of that one...
    Where was my head on this one! good call sarumont

Just Joined!
    No, there is no built-in card on the board and the monitor works. I'm quite sure now that the board is dead, but it's strange anyway - everything gets power (the CPU, video card, keyboard).
    I suspect that BIOS is somehow corrupt. Any other ideas?

Just Joined!
    The motherboard isn't shorting on the case?

Just Joined!
    clear the CMOS and try again...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast