Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Problem: External HDD reacts slowly when browsing, won't delete files, can only look at them. Chkdsk and any scans won't scan correctly when trying to diagnose the problem Reason: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ExFat drive reads but doesn't write, is slow

Hello,

Problem: External HDD reacts slowly when browsing, won't delete files, can only look at them. Chkdsk and any scans won't scan correctly when trying to diagnose the problem

Reason: I'm a regular Linux user, but for things relating to ExFat it seems better to take care of the issue on Windows.

Specs: I have an external my Passport WD Hard drive which I use as backup. One partition, ExFat. Windows 7 Laptop with a Fuduntu Linux and Windows partition.

What I've tried:
    on Windows: Administrator, run Cmd, my input:
    Code:
    Chkdsk /f I:
    Output:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk /f i:
    The type of the file system is exFAT.
    Volume Serial Number is 4F4B-0D30
    then after about 5-10 mins, output:
    Code:
    Windows is verifying files and folders...
    Volume label is CKLEESWDBAK.
    From then on, light has been continuing to flash on the HD, but the stage never went beyond the label identification. After at least 12-16 hrs the stage that should show progress percentages still has not appeared in the commnad-line output.

On Windows: "fix disk" upon plugin makes 0 progress and hangs from the start.

On Windows: Defragment doesn't see hard drive existence.

On Mac OS Snow Leopard: External HD not even seen. Not even Disk Utility.

On Fuduntu Linux: Mounts. Deletes files. When I want to move files to the external Hard drive, only 24MB of 2.4 GB are quickly copied, it then it slows down to 207.3 KB/s and says it needs 3 hrs for the remaining 2.4 GB. Furthermore the window freezes at times when I want to browse.

Attached I have the screenshot of a S.M.A.R.T disk analysis (CrystalDiskInfo) claiming there's a problem with 'reallocated sectors count' and 'current pending sector count'.

I don't really know what do with that info aside from what I have already tried. Any help on people more experienced than me would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ryupower; 02-25-2013 at 04:12 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is a hard drive, or an SSD? As for SMART, that is usually correct, and you may well have a failing drive - bad sectors will slow down reading and such considerably. Reallocated sectors are those that have been written to, but failed, so the sector has been reallocated to spares. The pending sector count are those that have failed read operations, but can still be accessed (if after some retries). Backup and replace the drive.

FWIW, I continuously monitor my drives with SMART. I have learned that if they start getting more bad sectors (a few are ok, usually), then I replace the drive - usually under warranty.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hello, it's a hard drive.
    I just bought this drive a year ago. Was always nice to it. Normally I'd fix the problem and format, but I don't have enough space anywhere else to do that, so I will have to find another solution somehow.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryupower View Post
    Hello, it's a hard drive.
    I just bought this drive a year ago. Was always nice to it. Normally I'd fix the problem and format, but I don't have enough space anywhere else to do that, so I will have to find another solution somehow.
    If it is still under the manufacturer's warranty, go to their web site and get an RMA to replace it. Most, such as Seagate and WD will, for a few $$, send you the replacement first, along with a pre-paid return label, so you can backup the data to the new drive, and then return the old one. I have done that a number of times, with both Seagate and WD, and that has helped me avoid losing data on each occasion.

Even if it is out of warranty, they will still send you a replacement for a reasonable fee - much cheaper than buying a new drive!

Just Joined!
    I don't think I retained the receipt however, I'll have to dig through them

A lot of these drive manufacturers will know if it is in warranty or not from the model and serial number. If you think they are wrong, then you'll need a receipt, or other proof of when you bought it. Both Western Digital and Seagate have online tools to determine that.