Find the answer to your Linux question:
Chromebook imminent! Is the Samsung model with an ARM processor... I'd like to backup the ChomeOS to an external device - maybe even a flash-drive, and load Debian or Bodhi ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Chromebook arriving Friday!

Chromebook imminent! Is the Samsung model with an ARM processor...

I'd like to backup the ChomeOS to an external device - maybe even a flash-drive, and load Debian or Bodhi Linux.

I don't expect this to be a fast or easy process, nor do I expect a push-button HOW- TO magically appearing, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated.

Anything I learn from the experiment will, of course, be shared with the community. Thanks, in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by merelyjim View Post
    Chromebook imminent! Is the Samsung model with an ARM processor...

I'd like to backup the ChomeOS to an external device - maybe even a flash-drive, and load Debian or Bodhi Linux.

I don't expect this to be a fast or easy process, nor do I expect a push-button HOW- TO magically appearing, but if anyone could point me in the right direction, it'd be much appreciated.

Anything I learn from the experiment will, of course, be shared with the community. Thanks, in advance.
    So what exactly do you need help with? Learning how to do back up on Linux? There's more ways than one to skin a cat....same goes for backups. You can use the DD command to clone the entire partition or the TAR command, you might even be able to find some software to do it for you. Here is a quick search to get you started.
    Back ups on Linux
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

There are several how-tos for running Debian on an ARM chromebook. Teh Google will find them. None of them are perfect, and all have some flaws. I got mine working from an SD card, but I still can't get it to boot from a USB drive. I have a tiny 32GB drive that I would like to use, but no success so far. The problem with using an SD card is that the card sticks out of the side of the keboard about half an inch, and I'm afraid it's going to get broken, either the card or the slot, from putting it into my bag. I don't really want to have to completely shut down and remove the card every time I move around.

Reformatting the SSD and installing Linux is problematic, because of the hardware differences. The ChromeOS kernel is highly optimized for the hardware Samsung uses, and you can't really use the armhf kernel that comes in the Debian distro. I'm not aware of other distros that support armhf, but there may be some. I'm just not interested enough to do the research, I have too much invested in Debian already.

It took some work, but I have Debian running well from a USB drive. I had to combine several of the guides available, since I could get none of them to work as posted. I don't know why, but all seem to have some flaws. In any case, it's possible, and Debian runs well on the ARM CPU. The only real drawback is the lack of armhf packages available. Some of the ones I've depended on for a long time, like Dropbox and Teamviewer, won't run since there are no ARM versions available. I expect that to improve as time goes by. Most standard Debian packages are available now.