Find the answer to your Linux question:
how to repair external USB harddisk formatted as ntfs Sir recently I have bought external USB harddisk of size one TB and it was previously formatted as ntfs.I have made ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how to repair external USB harddisk formatted as ntfs

how to repair external USB harddisk formatted as ntfs

Sir recently I have bought external USB harddisk of size one TB and it was previously formatted as ntfs.I have made all my backup of size 750GB. I am unable to read from this drive on windows8 and I am able to read from this drive on opensuse12.2 OS. I have tried a lot to make this harddisk working like running chkdsk in elevated mode, using partition recovery tools etc., but none worked.

Are there any tools or softwares in Linux to fix this problem without losing of data.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rupeshforu3 View Post
    Are there any tools or softwares in Linux to fix this problem without losing of data.
    Hello

You could take a look at ntfsfix to see if it might help. There is always a chance of data loss when manipulating partitions so it's doubtful that you'll find any utilities that come with a guarantee of no data losses.
    oz

Linux Guru
    it was previously formatted as ntfs
    The 'previously' caught my eye. Is it formatted as some other filesystem now? or still ntfs? windows won't be able to see/read a Linux filesystem unless you get some third party software. That may have changed with windows 8, don't know but previously it was the case. That would explain why you can see it from Opensuse and not windows.

Previously I was able to read data from the drive on windows8 and also when I run the command fdisk -l on Linux it is showing filesystem type as ntfs. From the past one week it is not working properly.

Linux Guru
    If it is an ntfs (windows) filesystem and you can't read it in windows, you might be better off going to a windows forum or the microsoft support site as it is obviously then a windows problem.