Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by cousinlucky Oz, my dialup service provider is Copper.net Affordable & Reliable Dial up Internet Services Provider | Copper.net and besides regular dialup they offer external DSL modems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Oz, my dialup service provider is Copper.net Affordable & Reliable Dial up Internet Services Provider | Copper.net and besides regular dialup they offer external DSL modems for windows and Mac computers, but not for Linux. My phone company is Verizon and they sell DSL modems but their service costs are sky high.
    Cousin, I looked around on Copper's website but saw no mention of a "dialup dsl" service. I also took a look around at Verizon's website but found no dialup dsl service offer there either, although I did see a message on one of their pages that said they no longer offer dialup to new subscribers. Do you remember where did you see the "dialup dsl" offer?
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Windstream is the phone provider and internet provider Oz. The phone line plugs into the wireless router.
    Generally speaking, dialup and dsl are two different things. Dialup modems and accounts are used to dialup a phone number elsewhere on the network each time you want to reconnect to the internet. DSL service is different in that it does use the phone line for the connection, but they don't have to dialup a phone number with each reconnect. They should be connected automatically when your computer is running properly and connected to the phone line through the modem/router, and the network isn't down elsewhere.

I've personally never heard of "dialup DSL", but again, I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but instead just trying to determine if indeed it does exist, the reason being that if it doesn't there's no need for cousinlucky to continue looking for a "external dialup dsl modem".

Hope all that isn't overly confusing.
    oz

Oz, this was in a recent email from copper.net ( Copper.net now provides Broadband DSL!
    To find out if service is available in your area go to: http://www.copper.net/broadband )

They also offer an exede service. ( This exciting service is called Exede Internet. With speeds up to 12 Mbps (that’s more than 200x faster than dial-up service and 4x faster than typical DSL service), you can use the Internet for almost anything. Whether you want to stream videos from YouTube, check out what your friends are doing on Facebook, or simply read your email, it works flawlessly and fast. )
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Oz, this was in a recent email from copper.net ( Copper.net now provides Broadband DSL!
    To find out if service is available in your area go to: http://www.copper.net/broadband )

They also offer an exede service. ( This exciting service is called Exede Internet. With speeds up to 12 Mbps (thatís more than 200x faster than dial-up service and 4x faster than typical DSL service), you can use the Internet for almost anything. Whether you want to stream videos from YouTube, check out what your friends are doing on Facebook, or simply read your email, it works flawlessly and fast. )
    Good day, cousin

From your description above, it sounds like they are offering DSL rather than "dialup DSL". If that's the case, there are probably plenty of members here using external DSL modems, me being one of them. The one I'm using as I type this has my previous ISP's private label on it, that being Embarq EQ-660R, but the modem is really made by ZyXEL and is a model P-660R-D1, as close as I can tell. I actually have 3 of those, but I also have a D-link DSL-2540B modem that works quite well and a number of D-link and Linksys routers that are part of my network.

Hope that helps.
    oz

Thanks Oz!! By the way Verizon is trying to force it's customers into using their FIOS service instead of signing up anyone for DSL.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks Oz!! By the way Verizon is trying to force it's customers into using their FIOS service instead of signing up anyone for DSL.
    I've never used FIOS so don't know much about it, but as roky noted above, most providers will supply (or rent in some cases) a DSL modem if you should decide to go that route. Don't know, but I've heard that some charge a rental fee even if you use your own modem, so something to think about. You can see a few brands, models, and images of modems to get an idea about what might be available by going to NewEgg and searching for dsl modem.

If you leave dialup and go to DSL, you are going to really enjoy the difference it makes if your connection works properly!
    oz

Yeah Oz, I would really like to view some stuff on you tube but with plain dial up it is just too frustrating!
    Also going from $10.00 a month to $50.00 or $60.00 a month on my old computer just isn't worth it!
    Linux user # 414321

oz
    forum.guy
    I would really like to view some stuff on you tube but with plain dial up it is just too frustrating!
    Also going from $10.00 a month to $50.00 or $60.00 a month on my old computer just isn't worth it!
    Rather than pay $50 to $60 per month, Coppernet's website says "starting at $19.95 per month":

https://www.copper.net/DSL/Service/New-York/N/NEW-YORK/

Is that just another marketing gimmick, or can you actually get a "decent" DSL connection for $19.95? It might be worth the extra $9.95 if you can get something quite a bit faster than dialup.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2