Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
A passing thought; I wondered if anyone uses a dial-up DSL external modem with their Linux distro and if so who made it??...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Any LF Members Using An External Dial-up DSL Modem??

A passing thought; I wondered if anyone uses a dial-up DSL external modem with their Linux distro and if so who made it??
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Good day, cousinlucky

I no longer use a dialup service but did so back around 14 years ago, and the brand of the external modem that I used was US Robotics. It worked quite well at the time, but I don't know if they still produce dialup modems, or if they are still in business at all for that matter. I see no reason that the same modem wouldn't work today, but they may be hard to find, even in used condition. Otherwise, I'm not sure what companies might be providing dialup modems currently.

Hope you are able to find what you need.
    oz

Oz, external dial up modems are still being made; what I'm seeking is a DSL external modem for Linux!!
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Oops... sorry, I missed the part about DSL but saw only the "external dialup" part. I'm not familiar at all dialup DSL, but you might take a look around at Amazon to get some idea regarding what all is currently available to you. One thing you might run into is that manufacturers often won't say that their product works with Linux even when they know full well that it does.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello again, cousin

I had a few spare moments earlier today and out of curiosity I took a look around to see who all is offering a "dialup dsl" service like you mentioned above so that I could check the kind of modem they are using. However, I can't find anyone that offers such a service. While I've never heard of it and can't find anyone offering it, that alone doesn't mean that it's not available.

Are you sure your ISP (or one that you are looking to sign up with) offers a dialup dsl service? If yes, can you provide a link to their webpage about the service so that I can check it out further?

Thanks.
    oz

Yeah, what Oz says.

Are you sure your ISP (or one that you are looking to sign up with) offers a dialup dsl service? If yes, can you provide a link to their webpage about the service so that I can check it out furthe
    Remember Oz how I was pitching a fit about my ISP Speeds. Well they ran a new line from the pole to the house and replaced the old junction box where the phone taps in also and gave me and set up one of these. That is Dialup DSL wireless modem there. If cousinlucky is getting a dialup DSL contract change. They should at least supply a modem that looks like this which is non wireless like I used to have. It is a Gigaset 4300 Ethernet ADSL Modem. Part# 060R-D148-A27.

Just in case that is what cousinlucky is talking about. By the way. They are made in China.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Oz, my dialup service provider is Copper.net Affordable & Reliable Dial up Internet Services Provider | Copper.net and besides regular dialup they offer external DSL modems for windows and Mac computers, but not for Linux. My phone company is Verizon and they sell DSL modems but their service costs are sky high.
    Linux user # 414321

they offer external DSL modems for windows and Mac computers, but not for Linux.
    Same thing for mine that I showed you in my last post cousinlucky. That just means their cd they include won't work in Linux. You can still use their modem to get connected via

Connecting an Ubuntu Linux System to a DSL Modem - Techotopia
    DSL on Debian

Enabling my wireless dsl modem in linux cousinlucky was just opening a browser and typing in blank address bar using this procedure

Connect to the modem, using a browser:
    So, now you can enter http://192.168.0.1 in the address window of a browser. (You don't need to be root to do this, by the way.) The browser will pop up a login window that asks for a username and password.

Type in the default user: admin

and the default password: password

and you'll see the administrative interface of the modem in the browser window.
    I had the my internet service provider field technition next to me to make the call after I made my user name and password for

cousinlucky @copper.net then your <password> to turn things on. His phone call tells the server people to connect your modem to
    their server after you login on your browser.

Wait for Oz to double check and make sure I know what I am talking about. We did the above procedure in Windows on the wifes computer.
    But it should work the same in Linux as we did not use their software cd to connect.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 03-08-2013 at 12:35 AM. Reason: put a space in @ because I was making up a email link for example
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Remember Oz how I was pitching a fit about my ISP Speeds. Well they ran a new line from the pole to the house and replaced the old junction box where the phone taps in also and gave me and set up one of these. That is Dialup DSL wireless modem there.
    Hope the new setup works better and stays better for you, roky.

Just to make sure I understand your new modem, are you saying that it has to actually dialup a phone number each time you reconnect to the internet?
    oz

Windstream is the phone provider and internet provider Oz. The phone line plugs into the wireless router.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast