Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an HP tower with a Foxconn motherboard. It has an Intel 2.4GHz dual core and 4GB RAM. My issue is that I have a geforce 210 graphics card. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

geforce 210 issues

I have an HP tower with a Foxconn motherboard. It has an Intel 2.4GHz dual core and 4GB RAM. My issue is that I have a geforce 210 graphics card. When I use the HDMI output, it causes kernel panic, but runs smooth on the other outputs. I run Solus OS 1.2

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Solus? Ok. Did a Google on that - it is a Debian stable derivative. What kernel are you running? Also, which nVidia driver are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Solus? Ok. Did a Google on that - it is a Debian stable derivative. What kernel are you running? Also, which nVidia driver are you running?
    3.3.6 is the kernel. It has onboard Nvidia graphics prior to install of graphics card. I installed the experimental driver

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My advice is to remove the experimental and the default (nouveau) drivers (you will probably have to blacklist the nouveau driver) and install the current stable one from the nVidia web site.

Just Joined!
    My advice is to remove the experimental and the default (nouveau) drivers (you will probably have to blacklist the nouveau driver) and install the current stable one from the nVidia web site.
    Ok, thanks Rubberman. It's done. Haven't tried yet though. I was warned the Foxconn was a suicide job. LOL. My tower is real funny about both hardware and software alike. For example, it will run both Solus and Ubuntu just fine off the onboard hardware, but Zorin causes a fatal bios issue which requires a hard reset of the motherboard and Mint shuts down and restarts about every 10 minutes. This machine is a pain in my bum. I would replace it if I could

Does this have a UEFI Secure Boot BIOS? If so, then you may need to install grub2-efi or disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. If not, then you might try a Red Hat Enterprise clone such as CentOS. It is a bit dated compared to current Fedora or Ubuntu systems, kernel-wise, but VERY stable.

Just Joined!
    Does this have a UEFI Secure Boot BIOS? If so, then you may need to install grub2-efi or disable Secure Boot in the BIOS. If not, then you might try a Red Hat Enterprise clone such as CentOS. It is a bit dated compared to current Fedora or Ubuntu systems, kernel-wise, but VERY stable.
    Ok, thank you friend. Not a secure boot though. A 2009 HP Pavilion

Quote Originally Posted by Levi88 View Post
    Ok, thank you friend. Not a secure boot though. A 2009 HP Pavilion
    Sorry, missed that! Yes, it would not have UEFI Secure Boot. A couple of things to do - first double check the BIOS settings. A lot of the time they may be OK for Windows but not for Linux. Things like ACPI and such may be not set correctly to work well with Linux.