Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I have installed Linux on my machine and i wish to connect a hard disk as slave to my machine in order to recover some files. Is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting a hard disk as a slave

Hi All,

I have installed Linux on my machine and i wish to connect a hard disk as slave to my machine in order to recover some files. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Manisha

Linux Engineer
    100% possible...
    if you want to put the file on the slave, you'll have to make sure the filesystem is compatible

other then that your good to go..
    Get back to us if you need help in mounting your drive..

here's the info we would need if you need help

Code:
    fdsik -l
    cat /etc/fstab
    [/quote]
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Just Joined!
    Hi!

In case you are not through with the mounting--

Assusming you are using IDE HDD.

First thing you need to do is check your whether your Hard Drive is made as Slave ( Refer HDD Manual ) On most of the IDE HDD you see a diagram showing how to make your HDD a Slave.

Once you are done you need to connect the HDD to the same ATA cable you use to connect the Master HDD.

If you are through with this then see whether you have connected the ATA cable to Primary IDE or Secondary IDE.

If connected to Primary IDE the ( assuming you want to mount partition 1 from the slave disk to /mnt directory )
    mount -t auto /dev/hdc1 /mnt/

If connected to Secondary IDE the ( assuming you want to mount partition 1 from the slave disk to /mnt directory )
    mount -t auto /dev/hdd1 /mnt/

Regards,
    Hemant

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by hemant_Shimogi
    First thing you need to do is check your whether your Hard Drive is made as Slave ( Refer HDD Manual ) On most of the IDE HDD you see a diagram showing how to make your HDD a Slave.
    While you're at it, check to make sure your original hard drive is jumpered to be master. I think it's common for drives to be set from the factory for "cable select" which I think would get confused with another drive on the same cable set as slave. Maybe it's not an issue, it's just that I don't trust "cable select"....
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better