Find the answer to your Linux question:
Thanks to my son and a cup of soda, my wife's computer is now dead. I bought an external enclosure for the HD and plugged it into my laptop. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

gaining access to a HD. It wont mount.

Thanks to my son and a cup of soda, my wife's computer is now dead. I bought an external enclosure for the HD and plugged it into my laptop. I had access to the HD which had three partitions, the "OS" partition, the "Recovery" partition and one other that I can't remember the name of. By the way I was running Windows 7 on that computer. Like I said I had access to all three partitions and transfered all the docs and important stuff to my HD off of it, with the ecception of the photos/videos she had saved on it. I somehow managed to only copy a link to that folder. When I realized what I had done, I plugged the HD back into my computer to transfer those files, but now it only sees two of the partitions, OS and Recovery, and says,

Unable to Mount OS

Code:
    Error mounting /dev/sdb3 at /media/jbelokur/OS: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb3" "/media/jbelokur/OS"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x10002002  size: 4096   usa_ofs: 0  usa_count: 65535: Invalid argument
    Actual VCN (0x7e004100520047) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x1).
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb3': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.

Unable to Mount Recovery

Error mounting /dev/sdb2 at /media/jbelokur/Recovery: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177" "/dev/sdb2" "/media/jbelokur/Recovery"' exited with non-zero exit status 13: ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x00000000  size: 4096   usa_ofs: 0  usa_count: 65535: Invalid argument
    Actual VCN (0x0) of index buffer is different from expected VCN (0x3).
    Failed to mount '/dev/sdb2': Input/output error
    NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
    SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
    then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
    important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
    it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
    for more details.
    Do you all have some advice on how I can once again gain access to this device? I'm a fairly new Linux user. I have Ubuntu 12.10, Fedora 17 and Mint 13. Thanks for any advice!

jbelokur
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 03-23-2013 at 04:25 AM. Reason: added code tags

linux user # 503963

Linux Guru
    Which distribution of Linux are you using to try to recover the data?
    What method did you use to try to mount the partitions on the windows drive to access them? Terminal command? From a file manager?
    Thee partition you probably need would be sdb3. If this was a preinstalled windows 7, the first partition would have been a boot, the Recovery partition would only have windows system files so the OS partition which you indicate is seen as sdb3, would be the one with your data.

Your error output shows "Invalid argument" which is why I ask the method you used to mount.

Just Joined!
    I've been using Ubuntu, which is my primary distro. As far as my method, it was to put the hd in the enclosure and plug it into my USB port. The system automatically recognized the drive with the three partitions, which showed as three separate HD's. They were then available for me to access. I originally didn't have to do anything. It was only on the second time I plugged the drive back into my computer that it recognized only two of the partitions, and gave me those error messages. Like I said my knowledge is limited at best. But I'm learning and willing to find a solution. Windows 7 was pre-installed on this drive when it was in the original computer. And you are right, I remember the thrid drive was boot.
    Last edited by jbelokur; 03-22-2013 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Forgot one piece of info