Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sir recently I mean four months back I have bought WD elements external harddisk of size one TB and I have taken backup all my files of size 750GB. While ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Expecting help at high risk

Sir recently I mean four months back I have bought WD elements external harddisk of size one TB and I have taken backup all my files of size 750GB. While operating on linux the disk has been corrupted and I was unable to access my files on windows and able to access files on linux so I have copied all my data to another external harddisk(segate) of size one TB . Then I have formatted elements harddisk with block size of 4096 bytes and copied all data from segate harddisk to elements. Know when I view the properties of any folder it is showing different file count and size in different file managers like windows explorer,nautilus and dolfin(in linux).I then reformatted the harddisk(elements) with block size of 512 bytes even the problem is not solved.

I have tried stellar phoniex data recovery software to solve this issue and the scanning of harddisk only is taking 11 hours.

I have ran chkdsk /f /c in windows8 elevated mode and the process is taking 14 hours.

As I am in a remote area I am not getting 24 hours power to solve this issue and I am getting maximum 12 hours power without interruption.

From the past 45 days I am trying to solve this issue even not succeded.

please notice that I am using segate external disk as temporary disk.All my data of size 750GB is on segate disk but I am unable to view all the content. My goal is I want to store all the data on WD elements USB external harddisk and I want to view all my files on any system,on any Operating System.

please suggest how to solve this issue with in minimum amount of time.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I assume that your drive was formatted in FAT32 format? This is a very unreliable file system. Either use NTFS (if you need both Windows and Linux accessibility), or ext3/4 for Linux-only accessibility. NTFS and ext2/3/4 file systems have much better error recovery. Also, I have had problems with Seagate consumer-quality external hard drives. I don't use them any longer for that reason.

If you need to use the elements HD for your data, on both Windows and Linux, then wipe the drive, partition it with an NTFS partition, and then copy the data back to the NTFS file system. You also may want to run fsck -c (from Linux) on the newly created NTFS file system in order to make sure that any bad disc blocks are mapped out of use, before copying the data back to the drive. In any case, DO NOT use FAT32 for this drive! I don't recommend it for anything bigger than a 32GB thumb drive.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Sir first I have copied the data from elements HD to segate HD on linux then I have reformatted the elements HD as ntfs on windows and then I have tried to copy data from to elements HD.

Actually now the issue is each and every folder on segate HD is showing different file count and size on different browsers like windows explorer,nautilus,dolfin and nautilus is showing exact file count and size.

Please suggest how to solve this issue.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I cannot suggest how to fix it since I cannot see what the problem is. I have not personally seen this issue in the past - I have over 20TB of Seagate drives on my system, and I have created NTFS partitions with Linux on some of them that have had no issues with Windows (XP in any case). More specific information (screen shots, etc) may help.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Sir I am sorry to say that there's no wrong with Linux in this issue.

Unfortunately previously I have bought a damaged disk from store and so it has stopped working from the beginning itself.

I have made a lot of nonsense about this so please forgive me.

At present I have bought another external harddisk of size 1TB and it is working fine.

I want to read some of autobiographies of the main people who formed the Linux in particular "just for fun english version".

Kindly can you provide the above in pdf format please.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

Wonder if it not an OS issue, but a controller issue with the WD drive.

Linux Guru
    I want to read some of autobiographies of the main people who formed the Linux in particular "just for fun english version".
    Not sure but : Linky and Linky

There is stuff in my signature also.

Happy Trails, Rok

Sir I am asking just for fun book which is the autobiography of Linus Torvalds.

Kindly provide the above please.

Regards,
    Rupesh.

One of the people behind Open Source is Eric Raymond, below is a link to his webpage that lists his books. The Cathedral and the Bazaar was a key book. He came to a party a Linux User Group put on for him, he quite and interesting person.

http://www.catb.org/esr/

Richard Stallman is the man behind Free Software and a very opiated and sometime controversial charter. He was writing a Unix like that Linus used all the support programs in Linux.

http://oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/

Linus Torvalds the creator of Linux a zillion articles and interviews are available. Here's a link to his page on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Linus-Torvalds/e/B001HCVW7K

There are many other people in the history of Linux and key Linux projects that deserve a lot of credit for create and or being evangelists to the point its at today. Also those of us who go back to the early days of Linux promoting it, members of LUGS (Linux User Groups), working at Install Fests' helping noobs install Linux, and promoting Linux to anyone who would listen.

Thanks for your suggestions and if you don't mind can any one of you please provide "just for fun english version" pdf freely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast