Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My linux machine recently died. This makes me a sad panda because I have been running linux since 1995 and like to have a linux system around. For my professional ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Brain Storming on Trying to Fix Dead Machine or Buy System

My linux machine recently died. This makes me a sad panda because I have been running linux since 1995 and like to have a linux system around. For my professional career I need word, so I also need at least one non-linux system, but I have always enjoyed using linux and interacting with the linux community.

The system had been powered off for two months while I was out of town on business. When I returned there were signs that water may have leaked somehow, though it this might not have happened. The machine worked for a little while, crashed hard twice, and then would not boot or post.

I had never really been a huge fan of the cooling system for my cpu (old AMD socket AM2 dual core), so I immediately thought the CPU might be fried. The machine had a faint odor when powered on, and made a disturbing high pitched buzzing sound. I removed the CPU and powered on to see if the sound and smell would disappear and so they did. There were no obvious signs of damage to the CPU.

Basically, I want to get a system running again and I do not want to spend much money.

I could try replace the fan for about fifteen dollars. This is low cost, but not likely to work in my view.

I could replace the CPU and fan for about fifty dollars. My concern is that the motherboard might be fried and I might just be flushing this money down the toilet.

So, I was considering the possibility of just getting an entirely motherboard and cpu. If I went down this road is anyone able to recommend some cheap options that will fit into a microatx form factor? I have been looking at I am surprised at some of the issues with say ATOM based motherboards and linux video support.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Linux Engineer
    I wouldn't touch anything Intel makes below the i5 series with a 10ft pole.

Anyway, this product has a few good linux reviews: ASUS C60M1-I Motherboard/CPU Combo Motherboard/CPU Set - Newegg.com

Not a bad buy here
    It looks like maybe you should get one soon. Downside is DDR2 RAM is more expensive than DDR3.
    I have several new Semprons, maybe even a new mobo; details on PM, if interested.
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    That is actually pretty tempting. 6 SATA ports is more than I need but nice for future expansion. Bit worried about dealing with the video drive though.

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    I wouldn't touch anything Intel makes below the i5 series with a 10ft pole.

Anyway, this product has a few good linux reviews:

Just Joined!
    @Zenwalker,

Yeah, but if I drop 50 and it turns out the CPU is what is dead, then I need to go buy another CPU and I'll wind up paying more. It's also nice to have something low power, I am actually pretty shocked that the market for low power CPUs with good linux compatibility appears to be so small. I can think of so many applications for them.

Linux Engineer
    I have had good luck with AMD drivers in general. My biggest concern is the CPU/$$. I'm running a new AMD A8-4500 APU in my laptop and it's great. Runs KVM like a champ. Only real bottleneck I have is disk speed and RAM (only 4gigs).

For about $25 more total, you can score one of these: AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7480D AD5300OKHJBOX - Newegg.com and get a motherboard like this one: ASRock FM2A55M-DGS Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

That setup would heads-and-shoulders out-class the C-60 processor.

Linux Engineer
    Double post.
    Last edited by mizzle; 04-12-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Double post

Shoot. If I lost all my gear to a flood. This has happened to me by the way. A backed up drain issue. Too long of a story to tell though. I lost a couple of laptops and a desktop on that one. But I have more that were off the floor. Done digressing.

Anyways, This would be my next desktop in that scenario with the base board and a touchscreen monitor. I have a external dvdrw.
    I aint saying this will fit your requirements. Just something I would do in your shoes. low power requirements. Linux compatible (ubuntu among others), CHEAP. Touchscreen capable
    if you buy the baseboard. This durn thing is so popular that they got swamped and sold out right after releasing. 1gig of ram on a 1.2ghz processor, touchscreen board. Imagine that.

Another whole computer unit I like is this. One might find a cheaper price else where however.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 04-12-2013 at 07:51 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by JustinianCode View Post
    @Zenwalker,
    . . . It's also nice to have something low power, I am actually pretty shocked that the market for low power CPUs with good linux compatibility appears to be so small. I can think of so many applications for them.
    Sempron 145 45W
    to go lower means some ARM setup (BTW - thanks, rokitnji for the link)
    I know this will work
    Attachment 4966
    Is it too much?
    "What you think about me is none of my business"

Just Joined!
    No, it isn't too much when you consider I don't need a power supply. The power supply is clear functional, as is the case and 3 SATA drives.

I'll just have to think about whether I want to go low power or just get a good old fashioned x86. I have to say I have been hoping for low power ARM systems to catch on for desktop production, but they really have not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast