Find the answer to your Linux question:
jbander I'm running mint14, it is crashing because of nouveau ,so I got rid of nouveau in synoptic and replaced with 304.51 . in synoptic it says nouveau is not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problems with nvidia drivers( nouveau)

jbander
    I'm running mint14, it is crashing because of nouveau ,so I got rid of nouveau in synoptic and replaced with 304.51 . in synoptic it says nouveau is not loaded but when I type sudo lspci -k in terminal i says___________00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 83a4
    Kernel driver in use: nouveau
    Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb
    Whats going on, how do I get rid on nouveau

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to blacklist the nouveau driver (or reconfigure the kernel to not load it - requires rebuilding/installing the kernel - not recommended).
    Add this line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf:
    blacklist nouveau

and then reboot.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    You need to blacklist the nouveau driver (or reconfigure the kernel to not load it - requires rebuilding/installing the kernel - not recommended).
    blacklist nouveau

and then reboot.

I don't quite understand, I took it out of the operating system with synoptic. I downloaded 304.55 and it doesn't show in Sudo lspci -k but it says it is still using Nouveau which isn't in the operating system.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    blacklist nouveau

and then reboot.
    Itried to blacklist nouveau in kate and it gave me this--The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.

Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.--- looked all over for a place to get permission and I found nothing

Quote Originally Posted by jbander View Post
    Itried to blacklist nouveau in kate and it gave me this--The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf.

Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available.--- looked all over for a place to get permission and I found nothing
    Code:
     sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist nouveau
    Pssword, Hit enter.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Code:
     sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist nouveau
    Pssword, Hit enter.
    You made my day . They updated synoptic with 304.88 so I was able to download that. I hope this will stop my crashing. Thanks very much

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The Nouveau driver is built into the kernel. You need to blacklist it so that it won't be loaded in preference to other installed drivers. To do that, you need to be root. On a Ubuntu/Debian/Mint system you would go to a command-line window and execute the command "sudo su -" to switch to the root user (admin). Then you should be able to edit the blacklist.conf file.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!