Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a western digital external hard disk which I had partially encrypted (about 55%) using bitlocker in windows 7 (due to shortage of time). I have migrated from windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recover data from formatted HDD

I have a western digital external hard disk which I had partially encrypted (about 55%) using bitlocker in windows 7 (due to shortage of time). I have migrated from windows 7 to ubuntu 12.04 two days back so I formatted my entire HDD from NTFS to ext4 . what I forgot was that I had my bitlocker recovery key for my external hard disk in the PC and since the drive is not fully encrypted the password for unlocking it is of no use on any other PC. Is there a way that I can recover my bitlocker recovery key from my PC ? please help as there is lot of important data in my external hard disk and I dont want to lose it.

Hi and welcome.

There is a slight chance, that you may find your recovery key file via TestDisk
    But only if its sectors havent been overwritten yet.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    thanks ... will try it and get back

I agree with Irithori , Try testdesk. Other than that check these out
    The Sleuth Kit (TSK) & Autopsy: Open Source Digital Investigation Tools
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery

If you dare, try my extcarve as last option! gET iT i sAY, giis - ext3 File Undelete Tool
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org