Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan2oo3 View Post
    Ok cool thanks I will give that a try. How do I go about installing the dkms module?
    Via the usual package manager tools such as Synaptic, aptitude (apt-get), etc.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Apologies I never seen this reply earlier. I have gone through all the steps and got it completed up until the point where I have been able to install the script from text mode. However now when I try to change back /etc/default/grub which I had to edit to get into text mode I basically just reverted teh value back to what it was before which was GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" and done sudo update grub but it still wont boot back into graphical mode. Any ideas what else I could try please? Bit annoying I got this far but havent got it working lol

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Login in text mode, and then run the startx command. Post the error output here.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I ended up having to boot into recovery mode and checking the drive for errors and then checking the Grub loader. This didnt seem to fix it so I could get back to my desktop but I had to use the option to 're-download corrupt packages' or something to that affect. This got me back to my desktop but had installed a different desktop environment so I then had to go and download Gnome again and repeat the process however it kept failing at boot again once I installed the nvidia driver again in text mode. I will see if I can get you the details from the log file this evening. I am considering installing Linux Mint instead as I read they have better proprietary drivers and easier process for installing them. What would your opinion on this be?

Hey Rubberman, I just went with installing Linux Mint 15 with Cinnamon last night and glad I did. Install only took about ten minutes and about 30 minutes for the graphics driver issue. The Driver manager was great and offered me a list of proprietary drivers as well as the recommended driver. It also showed which drivers were proprietary and which weren't and what type of driver was currently in use, which was very useful. Is there a preffered method of remote access other than VNC or SSH for linux boxes as I found even after tweaking the settings on RealVNC there was quite a delay and picture degradation?

Thanks again

A lot of people really like Mint because of its "user friendly" nature. Glad you are happy with it. As for remote access, I enable ssh with X pass-thru, then remote in with the commane "ssh -X user@host" from my workstation. I can then run any X-Windows application on the server and it will display on my workstation. It works well for me. I used to use VNC but find SSH with the -X option more efficient, and I can take advantage of the native graphics capabilities of my workstation, hence get a better picture. In any case, this is when you want both of the system connected to a gigabit switch and use gigabit network ports themselves. If you run virtual machines on the host, you can even ssh to them directly!

Okay cool, can I just ask though how I would use this method for playing movies through my Linux box onto the screen (my plasma TV) which the Linux box is connected to through HDMI? I can see how this would be useful to run applications on my macbook from the Linux box but not quite sure how I could get this to work with video playback on the screen?

Thanks

If you ssh into the server with "ssh -X" to get a command line, then you should be able to run vlc or other video players, which should output to your client system's x-windows server. One of the confusing things about X, is that the "X server" is on the output (user) system, not on the host!

Yea if I type VLC in the command line I get a bunch of errors about the interface and the daemon so perhaps I just need to modify the commands slightly to get it to play. I also noticed the driver that was recommended by Mint for my graphics card doesnt output audio over HDMI. Is this a common problem or is there a workaround other than just changing to a different driver (I havent tested all of them yet to see if any of the drivers from the list output HDMI audio)